[comp.sys.atari.8bit] tv switch box

sabba@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (diane.sabba) (11/28/89)

I have connected the Atari computer to my Sony trinitron via
the Atari switch box.  I have connected the antenna wire to
the 300 ohm on the switch box and use a VHF antenna adapter
to connect to the vhf on the TV.  My channel on both the computer
and the TV are set to 3.

Everything works great with the computer when the switch box
is set to game.  But when we want to watch TV programs and
set the switch box to TV, the picture is too fuzzy.  I have
to disconnect all the wires and switch box to be able to use
the TV for viewing.

Has anybody had this problem?  The TV is just a portable and
not hooked up to an outside antenna.

Thanks,
Diane

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (11/29/89)

In article <2473@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> sabba@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (diane.sabba) writes:
>I have connected the Atari computer to my Sony trinitron via
>the Atari switch box.

>Everything works great with the computer when the switch box
>is set to game.  But when we want to watch TV programs and
>set the switch box to TV, the picture is too fuzzy.

Those switch boxes contain splitters to keep the impedances right.
One undesireable effect of splitters is they attenuate the signal.
I have a TV that requires a stronger signal than many, plus I live
on the fringe area of the Boston TV range, and have seen that effect.
You could try an antenna amplifier between the antenna and the switch
box; I didn't need to, as cable TV moved in shortly after.  Antenna
amps can probably be had for $10 or $20, and I'd try Rat Shack.

If you try it, would you mind posting your results?  I for one would
like to know.
-Stan

johnb@pnet01.cts.com (John Bunch) (11/29/89)

I also have the above mentioned problem with the TV and the switch box. My
television is a 13 inch color, and I get one hell of a fuzzy picture when
I hook my cable line through the switch box..  I also get a fuzzy picture
when I have the switch box set to game though.  Is there any way to fix
this?

John.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!johnb
ARPA: crash!pnet01!johnb@nosc.mil
INET: johnb@pnet01.cts.com

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/01/89)

Another thing about the TV "switchboxes" is that they're notorious for
poor quality components.  It's possible that the problem Dianne was
having is similar to one I had, where the wire from the 300 Ohm connection
had pulled loose from the switch somehow.  Also, the switches themselves
aren't usually all that good.  It might be a good idea to try another one
(again, from Radio Shack) and see if it helps any.  They're fairly
cheap...

BobR