[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Help needed with Kermit

UCI144@URIACC.URI.EDU (Scott Glynn) (11/14/89)

First off I'd like to thank you guys for giving me some ideas on how to downloa
d programs before, but now I have a different problem. I managed to get a copy
of Kermit65 downloaded (kermit.com and kermitnr.com). But they don't work with
my modem. The modem is a MMP1000E which plugs directly into joystick port #2, n
o  interfaces need to use it, and it comes with its own software to use it (car
trige). The problem is that when I run Kermit.com the computer responds with K6
5: 850 not responding     then the computer locks up. And when I run Kermitnr.c
om all it does is goes to DOS. I have also tried using some of the other emulat
ors that I managed to download from the system such as Amodem42 and vterm, whic
h are basic programs, but they call for the 850 interface. If anybody has a way
 of changing the programs so that I can use them with my modem please let me kn
ow. I don't really care if they act like kermit, all I really want is a vt100 e
mulator.

                                        Scott Glynn (uci144 at uriacc)

gdtltr@sun.acs.udel.edu (Gary D Duzan) (11/16/89)

   Well, to use Kermit65 you have to be able to control the modem through
the data stream. In other words, you can't rely on XIO commands & such.
Most commonly used for this purpose is the Hayes command set. I have seen
a handler for the 1030/XM301 to emulate a subset of the Hayes command set,
but never anything for the MPP modems. Until something like that turns up for
the MPP, it would be difficult to get it to work with most terminal programs
unless they have MPP support built in.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration
                                 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

--
      _o_                                                            _o_
    [|o o|]        "Two hearts are better than one." -- Yes        [|o o|]

andrewh@dasys1.UUCP (andrew huie) (11/24/89)

Judging from the software you're using and the responses, you probably need
to find a handler for the modem which will list it as "R:" and have at least
a limited ability to respond to XIO commands to the "R:" device properly.
The handler should be loaded before you load Kermit (probably a better idea
to use kermitnr.com.  It doesn't try to load a handler which you already
installed.), or the handler could be prepended to the kermit prog.  (I haven't
actually tried this, so there may be other factors involved, but that's
basically the theory).  As for Amodem, try a higher version, like 7.x, which
has a handler for MMP modems.  That should be available on Atari BBS's (has
been for quite a while).

andrew huie ( andrewh@dasys1.UUCP )    |   "I'll tell you one more thing --
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX           | boys grow up into men by being tricked
...cmcl2!dasys1!andrewh                | by women." - Kei

garygm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Gary Brainin) (11/27/89)

In article <11280@dasys1.UUCP> andrewh@dasys1.UUCP (andrew huie) writes:
>Judging from the software you're using and the responses, you probably need
>to find a handler for the modem which will list it as "R:" and have at least
>a limited ability to respond to XIO commands to the "R:" device properly.
>The handler should be loaded before you load Kermit (probably a better idea
>to use kermitnr.com.  It doesn't try to load a handler which you already
>installed.), or the handler could be prepended to the kermit prog.

Actually, you HAVE to prepend the R: handler to KERMITNR.COM.  At
least, I had to....  If you use the DOS C command, with the argument
AUTORUN.SYS,KERMITNR.COM/A (where AUTORUN is the R: driver supplied by
MPP), you will get a file which works.

Gary Brainin
garygm@portia.stanford.edu

andrewh@dasys1.UUCP (andrew huie) (12/06/89)

In article <7009@portia.Stanford.EDU> garygm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Gary Brainin) writes:
>In article <11280@dasys1.UUCP> andrewh@dasys1.UUCP (andrew huie) writes:
>>Judging from the software you're using and the responses, you probably need
>>to find a handler for the modem which will list it as "R:" and have at least
[...]
>Actually, you HAVE to prepend the R: handler to KERMITNR.COM.  At
>least, I had to....  If you use the DOS C command, with the argument
>AUTORUN.SYS,KERMITNR.COM/A (where AUTORUN is the R: driver supplied by
>MPP), you will get a file which works.

If you're using a command-driven DOS like DOS XL or (maybe) Spartados it is
not necessary to combine the two (though in the end, it will probably be a
better idea).