[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 80 columns on Atariwriter plus?

sandberg@ecs.umass.edu (12/15/89)

I have to line things up in columns on Atariwriter plus. I was thinking that
if the screen was displayed in 80 columns it would make this a whole lot
easier.
Does anyone know a simple way of doing this? BTW I am using an Atari 800XL if
that makes any difference.

					-Pete

jjung@nunki.usc.edu (John Jung) (12/19/89)

In article <8727.2587d46b@ecs.umass.edu> sandberg@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>I have to line things up in columns on Atariwriter plus. I was thinking that
>if the screen was displayed in 80 columns it would make this a whole lot
>easier.
>Does anyone know a simple way of doing this?

  I don't think there's an "easy" way of doing it, just a way of getting around
a 40 column display. The only way I can suggest you to line up everything with
an 80 column printer is to use underlines instead of spaces in the area you
wanted to line up. Then, use print preview and make sure everything lines up
right. Once everything's the way you like it, do a global search for underlines
and replace them with spaces. Everything should be _printed_ all lined up
right, but when you look at the file in AtariWriter, it'll look a little messy.

(At least this is how I always did it whenever I wanted things to line
up with AtariWriter.)

  (Didn't I hear of an 80 column AtariWriter that works with the XEP-80?)

						John

tob@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (ted.o.burger) (12/19/89)

In article <8727.2587d46b@ecs.umass.edu>, sandberg@ecs.umass.edu writes:
> I have to line things up in columns on Atariwriter plus. I was thinking that
> if the screen was displayed in 80 columns it would make this a whole lot
> easier.
> Does anyone know a simple way of doing this? BTW I am using an Atari 800XL if
> that makes any difference.
>
> 					-Pete

ATW+ will support 80 cols!!!!  You can specify up to 160 (I think).  You will
get a 40 cols window that scrolls around on the n column page.

Hold the 'option' and press 'c', it will ask you how many columns you want.

This is a feature on ATW+ only, not the cart version of ATW.

Ted

frankh@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Frank Hamlin) (12/19/89)

>I have to line things up in columns on Atariwriter plus. I was thinking that
>if the screen was displayed in 80 columns it would make this a whole lot
>easier.
>Does anyone know a simple way of doing this? BTW I am using an Atari 800XL if
>that makes any difference.

					-Pete
----------
Type option c 80 and your screen will be set up to scroll thru 80 columns.

pl1605@sjfc.UUCP (Patrick Ludwig) (12/20/89)

In article <8727.2587d46b@ecs.umass.edu> sandberg@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>I have to line things up in columns on Atariwriter plus. I was thinking that
>if the screen was displayed in 80 columns it would make this a whole lot
>easier.
>Does anyone know a simple way of doing this? BTW I am using an Atari 800XL if
>that makes any difference.
>
>					-Pete

I consulted the owner's manual (page 12) to find my that
Option C  will change the number of columns displayed.

Of course if you change it to over 40, you won't be
able to see them all at once; but it should still
greatly simplify the problem.

Good luck,

--Pat Ludwig  "Five months in Saigon, my best friend turns out to be a VC.
HAVOC troops   This will NOT look good on a resume!" -Good Morning Vietnam