[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Using terminator

0C109@AECLCR.BITNET (Donald Simmons) (12/18/89)

     I have been having a problem trying to get files from the terminator
archive. I am using FTP and have tried to get UUDECODE.COM  and UUDECODE.DOC,
but the program was scrambled and the documentation file was gibberish. What is
the exact format necessary to request files? Please reply direct.

Donald Simmons 0C109@AECLCR

0C109@AECLCR.BITNET (Donald Simmons) (12/20/89)

     I have been having trouble getting usable files from the terminator
archive. I use FTP to access terminator. When I requested the UUDECODE.COM
and UUDECODE.DOC files, the documentation file arrived unreadable, and the
program file was unusble. Could somebody tell me the exact format of commands
to use to request a file? Please e-mail directly to me. Thanks in advance

Donald Simmons 0C109@AECLCR

mwjester@wsucsa.uucp (12/21/89)

In article <8912200810.AA15979@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 0C109@AECLCR.BITNET (Donald Simmons) writes:
>      I have been having a problem trying to get files from the terminator
> archive. I am using FTP and have tried to get UUDECODE.COM  and UUDECODE.DOC,
> but the program was scrambled and the documentation file was gibberish. What is
> the exact format necessary to request files? Please reply direct.
>
> Donald Simmons 0C109@AECLCR

Apologies for wasting bandwidth, but I couldn't get our mailer to process your
address.  Also, this may be of interest to others...

Obviously you were able to log in as anonymous and request files, so I won't
go into details about navigating through the directories.  What you need to do
to download binaries is:

   1) at FTP> prompt, enter SET TYPE I
   2) after confirming message ( like TYPE SET TO I), use the GET command to
      request your file.

Note: if you issue a DIR command, type is reset to A (ASCII), and you will need
to redo the SET TYPE I command.

One last item: when downloading from your local host (if I can use the expres-
sion) to your 8-bit, make sure both ends are set binary (at least if you're
using Kermit).   Hope this helps!

                                     Max J.

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (12/22/89)

    Date: 20 Dec 89 21:29:28 GMT
    From: ncrlnk!ncrwic!wsucsa!mwjester@uunet.uu.net

    In article <8912200810.AA15979@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 0C109@AECLCR.BITNET (Donald Simmons) writes:
    >      I have been having a problem trying to get files from the terminator
[...]
       1) at FTP> prompt, enter SET TYPE I

Careful.  Not all the files on terminator are binary.  Some are ascii,
in particular the ones Donald Simmons said he was trying to retrieve.

You should use Ascii mode for the files like .BAS and .TXT, binary mode
for .ARC.  The readme file attempts to give some hints about what files
are what, and how to go about retreiving them.

    Note: if you issue a DIR command, type is reset to A (ASCII),

... in some FTP user end implementations...
								  and you will need
    to redo the SET TYPE I command.

... if you wanted binary.

The real caveat here is that you need to know whether you expect a text
or binary file, and make sure your FTP is set up accordingly.

arthur@pnet02.gryphon.com (Arthur L. Rubin) (12/25/89)

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) writes:
>You should use Ascii mode for the files like .BAS and .TXT, binary mode
>for .ARC.  The readme file attempts to give some hints about what files
>are what, and how to go about retreiving them.

UUE files are also binary, as they contain ascii 127 (DEL) characters.

>The real caveat here is that you need to know whether you expect a text
>or binary file, and make sure your FTP is set up accordingly.

Definately.
Arthur L. Rubin    (home) (818)286-0981
PO Box 2437
San Gabriel, CA  91778    MCI Mail: ARUBIN 216-5888
Compuserve:  70707,453    INET: arthur@pnet02.gryphon.com
(when pnet02 dies mid-Dec)INET: arubin@pro-sol.cts.com