[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Joystick ports

at1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Angelo Trivelli) (12/27/89)

Hi,

    Does anyone know which pins are which on the Atari 800
    joystick ports??

    Specifically, I need to know which pins are for the paddle (potentiometer)
    inputs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
---- Angelo Trivelli    at1r@andrew.cmu.edu

garygm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Gary Brainin) (01/08/90)

In article <oZZxiD_00Ugy43bGw1@andrew.cmu.edu> at1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Angelo Trivelli) writes:

>Hi,
>
>    Does anyone know which pins are which on the Atari 800
>    joystick ports??
>
>    Specifically, I need to know which pins are for the paddle (potentiometer)
>    inputs.
>

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>---- Angelo Trivelli    at1r@andrew.cmu.edu

   Oh, foo.  I was hoping someone else would post this so I wouldn't
have to drag out my docs, but I guess not.  So, here it is, straight
from the Atari Tech. Ref. Notes:

    1 2 3 4 5
     6 7 8 9    <-- the pins on the joystick _jack_ (not the plug)

1=(Joystick) Forward Input
2=(Joystick) Back Input
3=(Joystick) Left Input
4=(Joystick) Right Input
5=B Potentiometer Input
6=Trigger Input
7=+5 volts
8=Ground
9=A Potentiometer Input

(As I recall, the paddle buttons used some of the joystick inputs, but
I don't recall which.  You'll have to experiment.)

			-Gary
--
|Gary Brainin                     |BITNET: garygm%portia.stanford.edu@stanford|
|garygm@portia.stanford.edu       |UUCP: ...decwrl!portia.stanford.edu!garygm |

person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) (01/17/90)

OK. Here's one for you.  How does the Koala Pad use the ports.  A friend and
I were playing with it last night and found that EAMbrandt didn't know how
to read the pad. All we could get it to do was read the right and left
buttons. It wouldn't read the surface of the pad.
  Hhat else is the koala pad good for?
--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

tob@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (ted.o.burger) (01/17/90)

In article <3138@plains.UUCP>, person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) writes:

> OK. Here's one for you.  How does the Koala Pad use the ports.  A friend and

The Koala pad uses the pot inputs on the joystick connector.  The pad position
is converted to a pulse width modulated signal which is applied to the pot
inputs.

The pad buttons are read like normal joystick switches.

Ted

njd@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (nick.j.dimasi) (01/18/90)

"What else is the Koala Pad good for?"  Well, I use mine with MicroIllustrator
(I bought it used, privately, and it came with MicroIll.)  The Koala Pad also
works with MicroPainter, I believe, and with Fun With Art and probably Atari
Artist (I think that last one came with the Atari Touch Tablet, which is what
I was trying to buy [new] but was no longer being manufactured - darn magazine
advertising scheduling!).  There are also some PD/etc. programs out there that
use it, e.g. Trails in ACTION! (ANALOG mag. - R.I.P.), something called Pixel
Artist Deluxe (which our club's copy of, won't save to disk unless it was just
a glitch in my friend's PD disk - but it acts like a bug in my humble eyes),
and even Diamond GOS (but a mouse/trakball is best for that).

Nick DiMasi
Assistant Editor for 8-bits, SCAT Newsletter
(I work for Uniq Digital Tech. and am under contract to AT&T-Network Sys.)
(DO NOT reply using 'r' to this article, your reply will be forwarded to \0)