[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Games For The 1200XL

lazlo@ariel.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (01/10/90)

A good friend of mine got her hands on a nice working Atari 1200XL for
Christmas and now we're looking for game software.  A few questions
arise:

	* What carts can it run?  400/800 stuff I know, but how
	  about the XE software, that sort of thing?

	* Do any national toy retailers (Kay-Bee, Lionel, Toys'R'Us)
	  still carry 1200XL-compatible stuff in any quantity?

	* Was the CBS game MOUNTAIN KING ever released for it, and
	  if so, does anyone have a copy they'd be willing to
	  let go of? :-)

                                                   Lazlo (lazlo@ariel.unm.edu)
"People who aren't going to go any faster than the speed limit really ought
   to put their hazard lights on."  -- Nibble's Rules Of The Road, #19

tle33710@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/10/90)

1. Not all 400/800 software will run on it!  I'm not sure, because I never
owned one, but I think the 1200XL (minus function keys) is really just an
800XL or 130XE etc without the extra RAM to load in a new operating system:
hence, you cannot use a translator.  I hope this has been of help.  If I'm
wrong, I'd be interested to know.  The upshot of this is is that you should
be able to run ALL (I think--using the above knowledge) XE game carts, but
only MOST 400/800 carts.

2. Mountain King was released for the Atari; I liked the game but don't
have it anymore....

SPLITE@MTUS5.BITNET (Steve Plite) (01/12/90)

In article <115200062@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, tle33710@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu says:

>1. Not all 400/800 software will run on it!  I'm not sure, because I never
>owned one, but I think the 1200XL (minus function keys) is really just an
>800XL or 130XE etc without the extra RAM to load in a new operating system:
>hence, you cannot use a translator.  I hope this has been of help.  If I'm
>wrong, I'd be interested to know.  The upshot of this is is that you should
>be able to run ALL (I think--using the above knowledge) XE game carts, but
>only MOST 400/800 carts.

Actually, the 1200XL has a different OS than the 400/800, XEs, and 600/800XL.
So it has trouble with some 400/800 AND some XL/XE software, since it's a breed
all of its own.  It does have a full 64K, and will run a translator.  In fact,
a translator should almost be standard equipment.  :-)  Good Luck!

Steve Plite  <splite@mtus5.bitnet>

tle33710@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/16/90)

Oh, O.K.!

Tim Elliott                                     "Genghis"
University of Illinois/Urbana                   "Menachem" (Name of the Week)
tle33710@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu                       No More New Kids, Please!
"Nolan Ryan is pitching much better now that his curve ball
 is straightened out."  --Joe Garagiola

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (01/17/90)

Well, this query sure has produced a lot of differing speculation.

As far as I know, the 1200XL OS is very similar to the one in the 800XL,
which is in turn indistinguishable (from the program) from a 65XE.

So, I would like to know:  Does anybody know FOR SURE of cartridges which
work on an 800XL / 65XE but do not work on a 1200XL?

Just curious,

Hans

bernstei@hq.af.mil (T.L.Bernstein) (01/17/90)

In article <115200062@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> tle33710@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

   1. Not all 400/800 software will run on it!  I'm not sure, because I never
   owned one, but I think the 1200XL (minus function keys) is really just an
   800XL or 130XE etc without the extra RAM to load in a new operating system:
   hence, you cannot use a translator.  I hope this has been of help.  If I'm
   wrong, I'd be interested to know.  The upshot of this is is that you should
   be able to run ALL (I think--using the above knowledge) XE game carts, but
   only MOST 400/800 carts.

------

I believe the above statement to be incorrect.  I used to be an Atari
enthusiast, and my father still owns several of the 8-bit models.  If
I remember correctly, the 1200XL was originally planned as a
replacement for the 800, with new ROMS.  Unfortunately not all
software was compatable with the new OS and the product did VERY
poorly.  To correct this problem, Atari came out with a translater
disk which makes the 1200 act like an 800.  I am not sure which
software works and which doesn't, but it would definately be
worthwhile to get the translator -- I suggest calling Atari, as it
used to be free.  As for the newer models, they replaced the 1200;
this time Atari made sure they were compatible with the original.

-- Terry --

wrd@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Bill Dippert) (01/17/90)

In article <5954@umd5.umd.edu> hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) writes:
>Well, this query sure has produced a lot of differing speculation.
>
>As far as I know, the 1200XL OS is very similar to the one in the 800XL,
>which is in turn indistinguishable (from the program) from a 65XE.
>
>So, I would like to know:  Does anybody know FOR SURE of cartridges which
>work on an 800XL / 65XE but do not work on a 1200XL?
>
>Just curious,
>
>Hans

Having owned (and still own) a 1200XL (modified to 256k), a stock 1200XL, an
800XL (modified to 256k) and a 130XE, I have not found any difference in what
the four will run.  The only differences between the 1200XL and the other XLs
are:  the 1200XL requires a BASIC cart (BASIC not build in) and it does have
the "function keys" and corresponding LED's.  The OS seems to be the XL OS.  It
is not the same as the 400/800 OS and requires the translator disk for any
program that the other XL would require it for.  Interestingly, though, when
you modify the 1200XL to 256k with the Newell board, the LED's show memory bank
useage and not what they were originally intended for.  I would describe
exactly what they do, but I am at work and it is at home and my memory is not
too good.  However, I have not used too many carts in it, other than
Atariwriter and the two types of BASIC carts.  I mainly use programs on disk
(using a 1050 DD).  The disk programs have always worked, including all sorts
of different games.  A few required the translater, but they also required it
on the 800XL or 130XE.

Has anyone actually found something that will not run on a 1200XL but will run
on any other XL or XE?

norlin@uokmax.uucp (Norman Lin (NARC)) (01/17/90)

In article <7872@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> wrd@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Bill Dippert) writes:
>In article <5954@umd5.umd.edu> hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>>So, I would like to know:  Does anybody know FOR SURE of cartridges which
>>work on an 800XL / 65XE but do not work on a 1200XL?
>>
>>Hans
>
>Has anyone actually found something that will not run on a 1200XL but will run
>on any other XL or XE?

In ANALOG a few years back, there was one program that did something to the
keyboard (I think it made the key repeat rate faster) and I believe that the
article mentioned that it worked on the XL's except for the 1200XL.  It was
a long time ago, so I can't be sure.  But if this is the case, it would seem
that some timing vectors or such may be marginally altered in the 1200XL.  In
any event, I seem to remember that the difference, if any, was not great.
--
Norman Lin

This is my humble signature file.

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (01/17/90)

>Has anyone actually found something that will not run on a 1200XL but will run
>on any other XL or XE?

norman> In ANALOG a few years back, there was one program that did something to the
norman> keyboard (I think it made the key repeat rate faster) and I believe that the
norman> article mentioned that it worked on the XL's except for the 1200XL.  It was
norman> a long time ago, so I can't be sure.  But if this is the case, it would seem
norman> that some timing vectors or such may be marginally altered in the 1200XL.  In
norman> any event, I seem to remember that the difference, if any, was not great.
norman> --
norman> Norman Lin

More than likely, this is because the program you mentioned jumped
into the OS ROM at an undocumented location, or used an otherwise
unsupported feature of the OS ROM.

Atari provided a vector table for entry providing documented entry
points into all of the documented OS routines.  The reason for the
vector table was to allow updates to the OS to not break software.
Unfortunately, in the 8-bit environment, more often than not
programmers threw such guidelines to the wind.  After all, they were
writing to the hardware registers to get graphics to happen on the
screen; why not treat the OS ROM the same way?

Software that runs under one version of the OS and not the other is
broken, plain and simple.  That doesn't alter the fact that such
software exists -- which is why the XL's have the Translator disk
available.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

mitchell@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Evan Mitchell) (01/19/90)

I still have my 1200XL (althogh it's collecting serious dust in my parents
house) and I seem to remember running everything my friends 800 (old) would
run, as well as the 64K games (The Eidilon from Epyx/Lucasfilms).  The
translator disk worked as well.  In fact, I used to store several games that
needed translation on one disk, and boot using some strange combinations
of translators and menu makers!  The only thing I can remember not running
off hand are some games with cartriges that were too big for the 1200XL's
tight port...

-Evan
|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |