[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Remember when?

aewright@amherst.bitnet (02/01/90)

In article <26292@cup.portal.com>, Jack_Wahoo_Pettrey@cup.portal.com writes:
> Darlin'... sorry ta dissapoint ya, but the 400 system with recorder and
> cartridges you described is worth closer to $50 than $150.  I know it's
> a shock, but sometimes life's a b*tch.  Don't feel bad, I bought my first
> Atari in 1981... paid $400 for the computer, $300 for a 48K upgrade, $150
> for a real keyboard, and $550 for an 810 disk drive.  For that much these
> days I could have a decent AT clone... not ta mention the time value of
> money over the 8 years.  Nonetheless... Ataris will never die in me heart.
>
> Jack Pettrey

Way back eight years ago, I bought my first computer, an Atari 800XL, when
it just came off the market. Remember the Alan Alda commercials? Well,
That was the time. Any way, with a 1050 disk drive, the setup cost over
$1000 dollars. Forget about such add-ons like my Indus drive! Three years ago
I switched a accidentally broken 800XL with a 130XE for $100. Now I don't
know if I can get even that for my setup, which now includes a moniter, a
Okimate color printer, and a huge software library. Why should I sell it?
Nintendo is boring in comparison, and up to last year I did all my major
papers on it. Yeah, now I have a Mac. It's tough having a orphan computer,
caused by the bumblings of Warner and Tramiel. Oh, well. It'll always be
a fixture back home.
I just wanted to ramble about the good 'ol days

					Anthony E. Wright

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (02/03/90)

>I just wanted to ramble about the good 'ol days.
>
>				Anthony E. Wright

Just some more rambling...I still think one of the best decisions I
ever made was sacing up my allowance back in 1981 to go out and buy
(at a GREAT price) a 400 and program recorder for $400. This led to
a $250 disk drive 2 years later, and a 800xl for $150 a year or so
after that. Latest aquisitions were a $35 256k 800xl and a $50 4th
USDoubled disk drive. Back in '81 I could walk into just about ANY
store and find software for my machine. Today...well, you still find
PD and shareware now and then on BBS'. I've seriously thought about
giving up on the 8 bit a few times over the past few years, but always
end up asking myself "WHY?". After all this time, it still gets the
job done...

			-Ray