[comp.sys.atari.8bit] XEP80 & DOS XE

CURRENTM@CARLETON.EDU (Michael Current) (02/08/90)

Is there anyone out there that uses both DOS XE and the XEP80 80-column screen?
This is a fairly technical question.  Under DOS 2.5, it is possible to flip
between the Antic and the XEP80 displays using XIO commands 24 and 25.  What I
have done is created a DOS XE disk that automatically runs the XEP80.DRV
program.  I then go to Basic and type the XIO command to go to the Antic
display.  There I'm stuck - the XIO command to return to 80 columns isn't
recognized.  (unfortunately, I don't remember the error number right now.)
However, running XEP80.DRV over again (from DOS XE) works fine.  Has anyone
else ever noticed this?
     While I'm at it, are there other services similar to INFO-ATARI out there?
I've heard there were, and if Info-Atari is going to shut down I'd like to know
where they are.  How is it that there's an Info-____ for MS-DOS machines that
isn't too big? Are there more on-line Atarians than MS-DOS users?
     Thanks.

Michael Current / currentm@carleton.edu

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (02/10/90)

In article <9002080810.AA12038@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CURRENTM@CARLETON.EDU (Michael Current) writes:
>Is there anyone out there that uses both DOS XE and the XEP80 80-column screen?
>This is a fairly technical question.  Under DOS 2.5, it is possible to flip
>between the Antic and the XEP80 displays using XIO commands 24 and 25.  What I
>have done is created a DOS XE disk that automatically runs the XEP80.DRV
>program.

I used DOS XE until it interacted with SUPER ARC in an "unfavorable"
way.  I switched to MYDOS - it has everything I need and more.  Well,
(re my previous posting) it had problems with the XEP80 too.  Now you
see why I like MYDOS - I have the sources, and can fix problems
myself!  MYDOS is also compatible with 2.5.  Really the only thing it
doesn't have is time/date stamping, which I have a way to deal with.
I also may fix it at some point; the directories on DD use only half
of the sector, which leaves the other half available for more
information.
-Stan
(OK, I will concede that DOS XE's file map rather than linked sectors
is better, especially when you delete a large file.)