[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Anyone tried XF551 with 80-track drive?

ain1496e@merrimack.edu (02/11/90)

In article <8356@c3pe.UUCP>, charles@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) writes:
> I'd like to add a 720Kb floppy drive to my Atari 8-bit system.  The best way
> I can see to do this would be to buy the XF551 double-sided drive, and the
> rumored conversion kit for 3.5" microdiskettes.  (I'd prefer something
> short of a box on the XL's parallel interface, unless that solution is
> cheaper somehow.)

  I know the 3.5kit exists, It is sold by Innovative Concepts
  in an antic or analog a while back there was a review of it. The person
  who wrote the artice (i think it was matt ratcliff) use the kit, and I think
  it got a favorable review.

charles@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) (02/11/90)

I'd like to add a 720Kb floppy drive to my Atari 8-bit system.  The best way
I can see to do this would be to buy the XF551 double-sided drive, and the
rumored conversion kit for 3.5" microdiskettes.  (I'd prefer something
short of a box on the XL's parallel interface, unless that solution is
cheaper somehow.)

The problem is, I want 5.25" 720Kb capability.  I have two such drives,
up to the 34-conductor cardedge connectors, salvaged from a dumpster.  I
was basically wondering (a) whether anyone's converted the XF551 to 3.5"
diskettes, (b) where the conversion kit was bought from, (c) at what level
the 3.5" drive interfaces the conversion kit (34-conductor from controller
or the ~24-wire "raw drive" harness common to 5.25" drives??), or (d) if
anyone's found *any* way (including this one!) of achieving this result.

Thanks,		Charles Green		charles@c3.COM
--
"IOUT should never be allowed to equal ILIMIT, even for a microsecond."
charles@C3.COM	{decuac.dec.com,cucstud}!c3pe!charles	ex::!echo Boo: