[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Parallel Bus on Atari XL/XE

weaver@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (weaver) (03/02/90)

In article <9003010814.AA11912@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "Prinz_Arcturus"  <FTJLH%ALASKA.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>RE: 8 bit expansion port
>    anyone have good reference books to tell me what this thing does and
>how to make it do it?

Well, I don't know of any books.  The standard info available (at one time?)
from Atari was the Operating System Reference Manuals which are only specific
to the 400/800 series.

However, if you have access to back issues of Antic Magazine, they ran a
multipart series on some uses of the parallel bus (the PBI - Parallel Bus
Interface).  I have the March 1985 issue that describes a serial port
project.  The author of the series was Earl Rice, "the project leader for
the planned top-of-the-line 1450XL[D] computer."

For those of you who don't remember, the 1450XLD had the works:  built in
300 bps modem (later used (I think) in the 1030 modem), voice synthesizer,
built in _parallel_ DS/DD diskette drive.  There _were_ a few made, since
Video Express in Columbus, Ohio sold about five of the motherboards.  A
friend of mine built himself a power supply and is the owner of one of
the strangest 8-bit machines (sans built-in disk drive) that ever (almost)
existed.

----
Andrew Weaver	v30188@vax1.cc.uakron.edu (Jan-May 1990)
		weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu  (usually)

'No matter where you go - there you are.'  - b. banzai