[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Looking for Atari 800 software

GCOPR@ISUVAX.BITNET (Operator) (03/15/90)

right now I have a 1050 disk drive.  the ibm hookup will be achieved by
serial (rs232) cable to an ibm compatible machine, which will act as a server.
i plan to have a 386 by then, so the ibm won't be completely dedicated to the
server task.  otherwise i'll have a spare slow (4.77 mHz) pc as the server
machine.  I'll then be able to share my printers, my hard drive, and floppies.
it's not the _best_ solution, and it will be somewhat slow (but not terribly
slow-the atari diskdrive communicates at 19.2k, and I think i can squeeze that
out of a p:r: connection, so it shouldn't be any slower than a 1050 floppy,
which is 'acceptable'

-m

bobm@anasaz.UUCP (Bob Maccione) (03/17/90)

In article <C5361C094B9F400471@ISUVAX.BITNET> GCOPR@ISUVAX.BITNET (Operator) writes:
>right now I have a 1050 disk drive.  the ibm hookup will be achieved by
>serial (rs232) cable to an ibm compatible machine, which will act as a server.
>i plan to have a 386 by then, so the ibm won't be completely dedicated to the
>server task.  otherwise i'll have a spare slow (4.77 mHz) pc as the server
>machine.  I'll then be able to share my printers, my hard drive, and floppies.
>it's not the _best_ solution, and it will be somewhat slow (but not terribly
>slow-the atari diskdrive communicates at 19.2k, and I think i can squeeze that
>out of a p:r: connection, so it shouldn't be any slower than a 1050 floppy,
>which is 'acceptable'

This has probably been asked before but:

has anyone successfully made a PC into a server? I'd probably use a
multi-tasking system to not tie up the system completely but I'd like
to copy all of my disks to a BIG partition and then not have to worry
about the disk drive. Is there a source to some demo/psuedo code to
do this ??

thanks

bob