[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Upgrades

a254@mindlink.UUCP (Malcolm McDougall) (02/12/90)

I would be very interested in seeing any of the files you have on upgrades of
any type to the 8-bits.  I run an 8-bit BBS here in Vancouver, BC, and I'm sure
there would be a few others that would be interested in them.  Could you post
them here so we can all see them.  It would be greatly appreciated.

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (02/12/90)

  Is anyone out there interested in upgrading their atari 8bit?
  By upgrades I am referring to memory expansion, changing to a 65816
microprocessor, adding multiple i/o chips, adding cartridge roms directly
to the computer, etc.  If you are interested, post or send me email.
I have several text files describing various upgrades, and I'm working on a
few upgrades of my own (second PIA, lots of memory, 65816 running at 4MHz
or higher, some others...) and I want to know how many people are out there
that are interested.  Also, if you are affiliated with a users group you
might want to ask members if they are interested.

Thanks
Charles_K_Hughes
@cup.portal.com

scott@discus.Sun.COM (Scott Pett UK Senior Customer Training Instructor) (02/12/90)

	Yes I'm very interested in any upgrades for the Atari 8 bit machines.

Regards,
Scott..

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (02/13/90)

  Hi guys....

  I have several text files on various upgrades, I will edit them and then
post so that you can use them.
  Most of my files are on memory upgrades, I am working on several upgrades
myself.  Things like: 65816 running at 4MHz (if I succeed, then getting it
to run at 6MHz will be a piece of cake), high capacity ROMS (so I can stuff
BASIC XE, MAC65, and other various programs all on one rom and stick that
inside my computer), extra I/O chips  (PIA upgrade is done, an ACIA is
planned), extra I/O ports such as the 2 missing joysticks, a true RS232, a
parallel port (for a printer), maybe even a disk drive controller so that
we can use those nifty IBM drives. :)
  It will take some time for me to finish all these, and it may prove to be
impossible in some cases, but as soon as I succeed (or permanently give up)
I'll post.

  The first upgrade text should be posted by the end of this week.  It is a
PIA upgrade so that you can control memory uprades better.

Charles_Hughes@cup.portal.com

btw...if you have any upgrade texts, please send them to me, I collect
them.

UCI144@URIACC.URI.EDU (Bytor) (05/04/90)

Charles Hughes, I was hoping that I could build a modem that was
completely variable. I got the idea from Antic magazine which featured
the parallel bus. I only have the 3rd instalment of the article. Its in
the March 1985 issue. In it they have a schematic of a setup that uses
the parallel port and it has a baud rate generator in it. What I was
wondering is there a way to convert what they have down, I beleive its
for a serual I/O board, to a modem that can go to the same baud rates
that they have down for it....50 to 19200 bd. Is this possible?

     UCI144@URIACC.Bitnet                       Scott Glynn
  Cast in this unlikely role, Ill quipped to act, with insufficient
  tact. One must put up barries to keep oneself intact

        Support the Revolution....power w/out the price!!!

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (05/06/90)

Scott writes:
-------------
>Charles Hughes, I was hoping that I could build a modem that was
>completely variable. I got the idea from Antic magazine which featured
>the parallel bus. I only have the 3rd instalment of the article. Its in
>the March 1985 issue. In it they have a schematic of a setup that uses
>the parallel port and it has a baud rate generator in it. What I was
>wondering is there a way to convert what they have down, I beleive its
>for a serual I/O board, to a modem that can go to the same baud rates
>that they have down for it....50 to 19200 bd. Is this possible?

  IMHO no.  I have the issues and I do know what you are talking about, but
you are getting confused between what a serial I/O board does and what a modem
does.  A modem converts a serial stream of data into tones that can be
transmitted via telephone.  A serial I/O board merely converts bytes into
on/off transitions of a serial line - to a telephone this would be roughly
equivalent to lifting the phone up and putting it back down rapidly.  You
can use the serial I/O board as an RS232 interface and then add a nice modem.