[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Indus GT drive, useless? maybe not...

mwjester@wsuiar.uucp (Max Jester) (05/04/90)

In article <24639@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>,
 c9b-ac@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Benson) writes:
> Question:	Sorry if it is a naive question, but is it possible to
> 		use the Indus drive on another computer? (ie. ibm pc,
> 		mac, etc..).
>
> 		or is that plain impossible?  since the drive was orignally
> 		geared for atari computers.

I think it depends on the drive mechanism. If it is DSDD, you can probably
take the bare drive and add it to a PC.  A SSDD drive would also work with
most controllers, but you would be limited to 180K on the disk, i.e. you
couldn't read a standard messydos disk with it.

I don't know what mechanism Indus used, but I presume that the manufacturer
would put a part number on it somewhere.  Someone somewhere (yea, in this
very forum even) can probably tell you from that if the drive is SSDD or
DSDD.

Hope this helps - Good luck!

Max Jester
BITNET:		mwjester@twsuvax
UUCP:		uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!wsucsa!mwjester
INTERNET:	mwjester@wsuiar.wsu.ukans.edu

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (05/08/90)

  The INDUS (8-bit) drive uses a SSDD disk drive that is not "compatible"
with IBM style drives.  You can build a connector that would allow you to
use it with an IBM but in general, it is cheaper/easier to just go out and
buy a new one.  If you want to use the drive without ripping it apart you
can delve into the SIO structure, figure out how the SIO port works, and
then interface the sucker to a parallel port on the IBM.

Charles_Hughes@cup.portal.com

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (05/08/90)

In article <150.264046a9@wsuiar.uucp> mwjester@wsuiar.uucp (Max Jester) writes:
>In article <24639@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>,
> c9b-ac@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Benson) writes:
>> Question:	Sorry if it is a naive question, but is it possible to
>> 		use the Indus drive on another computer? (ie. ibm pc,
>> 		mac, etc..).
>
>I think it depends on the drive mechanism. If it is DSDD, you can probably
>take the bare drive and add it to a PC.  A SSDD drive would also work with

Sorry to disappoint you, but ...

All the floppy drives used in PC-land etc. have a more-or-less standard
interface.  The Indus GT has nothing of the kind. (Mine at least, that is
the only one which I have taken apart).  It has what must be a one-of-a-kind
interface board, made especially by or for Indus.
If you go one step further, you could remove that board too, and end up
with a totally 'bare' disk drive (no electronics at all).  If you have the
interface board from a compatible drive (i.e. same kind of heads, same
kind of stepper motor, etc.) you might make a usable package out of them.
For all that trouble, you would then have a single sided, double density
drive.
Since you can buy brand new half height floppy drives for around 70-80$,
I am pretty sure that doing the above would not be a good use of your
time/money/efforts.

The drive mechanism is made by Tandon (again, I only speak for my drive),
and looks to be compatible with the 1050 mechanism (only much quieter).