[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Looking for 2400 baud VT100 emulator

garygm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Gary Brainin) (05/30/90)

   I am using KERMIT-65 right now, and it does, too drop characters.
In fact, the docs that are supposed to come with it _say_ that it is
prone to this, since it uses page 6 as a (very small) buffer.  The
only time it does this is when so much informatin is coming in at once
that the difference between the modem speed and the screen speed
causes the buffer to overflow.  Mainly this is due to a lot of screen
scrolling, which goes very slowly.

   There are two ways I have found to avoid this problem: 1) avoid
scrolling displays.  rn, for example, has options that will cause
screen output to always start at the top of a cleared screen.  2) use
the "flow control" option.  This sends a ^S to your host whenever the
buffer is in danger of overflowing, and a ^Q when it is ready again to
receive.  To use this, your host must accept the ^S/^Q protocol.

			Good luck,
			-Gary

--
|Gary Brainin                     |BITNET: garygm%portia.stanford.edu@stanford|
|garygm@portia.stanford.edu       |UUCP: ...decwrl!portia.stanford.edu!garygm |

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (06/03/90)

Gary Brainin (garygm@portia.stanford.edu) recently writes:

>    I am using KERMIT-65 right now, and it does, too drop characters.
> In fact, the docs that are supposed to come with it _say_ that it is
> prone to this, since it uses page 6 as a (very small) buffer.  The
> only time it does this is when so much informatin is coming in at once
> that the difference between the modem speed and the screen speed
> causes the buffer to overflow.  Mainly this is due to a lot of screen
> scrolling, which goes very slowly.
>
>    There are two ways I have found to avoid this problem: 1) avoid
> scrolling displays.  rn, for example, has options that will cause
> screen output to always start at the top of a cleared screen.  2) use
> the "flow control" option.  This sends a ^S to your host whenever the
> buffer is in danger of overflowing, and a ^Q when it is ready again to
> receive.  To use this, your host must accept the ^S/^Q protocol.
>
> 			Good luck,
> 			-Gary

I guess I haven't run into this because I use Kermit65 almost exclusively to
talk to VMS systems, and VMS DOES accept the XON/XOFF (^Q/^S) protocol.
I'll have to reread my Kermit65 doc files, I guess!  Thanks for setting the
record straight, Gary!

Chris Chiesa
  Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com