[comp.sys.atari.8bit] M.U.L.E.

shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/12/90)

I have heard of an old award winning program called MULE which I would
like to obtain (purchase) a copy of.  Does anyone know anything of the
program?  Could you tell me something about it (even if you don't know
how I can get a copy)?  Thanks.

Steve shawl
BITNET  shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
SPAN    kuphsx::shawl

potter@speedway15.DAB.GE.COM (Jeff Potter) (03/13/90)

Hi Steve,

M.U.L.E. was undoubtedly the best four-joystick game ever made for the
Atari (if you have an old 800), and ranks among the best (IMHO) of all
games written for the Atari.  Its a market simulation game, where players
compete with each other for land, M.U.L.E.'s, and money in an effort to
become "First Founder" (the one worth the most in a successful colony).
Its *very* well designed and playtested, the user interface is well
thought-out, and the game play is such that poor players get a "helping
hand" with random events.  Scan Antic magazine advertising for possible
dealers with some stock left.  I'll ask some old users if they're willing
to sell their copies.

Jeff Potter
This is not an endorsement of any product by my company, only my opinion.

JWM7@psuvm.psu.edu (Z) (03/13/90)

In article <22451.25fa9519@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu says:

>I have heard of an old award winning program called MULE which I would
>like to obtain (purchase) a copy of.  Does anyone know anything of the
>program?  Could you tell me something about it (even if you don't know
>how I can get a copy)?  Thanks.
 M.U.L.E. is by Electronic Arts, and I don't know whether they are still in
business. Mail order places might have a few copies left.

       __
         \ /  \ /\/\
      \__/.\/\/.\  /.
      _______________                               JWM7@PSUVM.psu.edu
      __|____|____|__     James Walter Martin III   JWM7@PSUVM.bitnet

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) (03/14/90)

In article <22451.25fa9519@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I have heard of an old award winning program called MULE which I would
>like to obtain (purchase) a copy of.  Does anyone know anything of the
>program?  Could you tell me something about it (even if you don't know
>how I can get a copy)?  Thanks.
>
>Steve shawl
>BITNET  shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
>SPAN    kuphsx::shawl

M.U.L.E. is a game from the "glory days" of Electronic Arts Software.
This is the time when that company was producing nothing but the best
computer games for their time.  I lost M.U.L.E. when I sold my 8-bitter,
and after having an Atari ST and a PC clone, I still have not found a
more enjoyable computer game.  I can't even begin to explain what kind
of game it is.  Well, OK, I'll try.  It's sort of an extra-terrestrial
Monopoly, with some arcade action, and lots and lots of strategy, based
on what seemed to be an accurate economic model.  It's extremely well
designed and programmed, and I think it falls into the rare breed of
true computer games -- it's not an arcade game, a video game, or an
adventure game.  If you can get your hands on it, GET IT.

The last time I saw M.U.L.E. for sale was in a mail order advertisement
in an Atari-related magazine.  Look for it under Electronic Arts, under
the Classic Software Series.  It should be about $15.  You should also
check some of the other titles in the series, like Archon, Archon II,
The Seven Cities of Gold, and Pinball Construction Set.
---
+--------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------------+
|                    |  Polygen Corporation  |           UUCP:               |
|  Jerry J. Shekhel  |   Waltham, MA 02254   |  {princeton, mit-eddie,       |
|                    |    (617) 890-2888     |  bu, sunne}!polygen!jerry     |
+--------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------------+

krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) (03/16/90)

I've heard people rave about this game for years.  Does it require all human
players?  Or can you play against computer opponents?
=	Andrew Krieg		2to1 Keeper	Marvel Historian	=
=		G.E. Medical Systems - CT - New Berlin, WI		=
= 	   	     USENET: krieg@jupiter.med.ge.com			=
=     "Big clocks are never wrong!!" - Bob Newhart in _Cold Turkey_	=

iwarner@axion.bt.co.uk (Ivan Warner) (03/20/90)

	Isn't MULE a four player game, requiring 4 joystick ports? For this
reason, I had assumed that it wouldn't work on an XL.

	Ivan Warner

andrewh@dasys1.uucp (andrew huie) (03/25/90)

In article <2318@mrsvr.UUCP> krieg@jupiter.UUCP (Andrew Krieg) writes:
>I've heard people rave about this game for years.  Does it require all human
>players?  Or can you play against computer opponents?

Any player spots not taken up by a human being with a controller will be
taken by the computer (e.g., a one-player game will have 3 computer opponents,
2 humans will have 2 opponents, etc.).

--
andrew huie ( andrewh@dasys1.UUCP )    |   "I'll tell you one more thing --
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX           | boys grow up into men by being tricked

REL@MTUS5.BITNET (Robert Landsparger) (06/12/90)

Since I am in the middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan away from
the real world and will be for a good portion of the next year, I could
use some help in tracking down/purchasing a copy w/docs of ECA's  M.U.L.E..
I have blown the dust of my 8-bit now that I have my own appartment with
out cable (we only have one broadcast channel in the area - CBS affil),
and M.U.L.E. is about the best game (with 4 joy stick ports), and I need
to purchase a new copy.  I didn't survive the dormant state!  Basically,
does anybody have a copy they wish to sell, or can point me in a vendor
dirction?  Do people in the 8bit world still play M.U.L.E.?  Am I that
out of date?

Thanks for any help in this matter,

Robert Landsparger
Computing Technology Services