[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Galaxian

jprice@psueea.uucp (James Price) (07/14/90)

     Does anyone remember how to turn off the alien's firing power
     in Galaxian?  Something about shooting different coloured aliens
     in a pattern....If anyone remember please post it or mail me.
               Thanks,
                                  James Price
   jprice@jove.cc.pdx.edu

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (07/15/90)

  To temporarily turn off the aliens firing you have to wait for a leader
to come down at you.  When it does, shoot & kill it to stop the firing for
3-6 seconds.

Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

art@norby.acns.nwu.edu (Art Miller) (07/16/90)

In article <31715@cup.portal.com> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com
(Charles K Hughes) writes:

>  To temporarily turn off the aliens firing you have to wait for a leader
>to come down at you.  When it does, shoot & kill it to stop the firing for
>3-6 seconds.

The original poster may have wanted to know how to turn off the aliens'
firepower *completely* (for good).  I know it's possible in the coin-op
version of Galaxian, but to my knowledge you can't to it on the home
version.

Arthur Miller, Student Consultant |  here's one:
Northwestern University           |  EMACS -- Eight Megabytes And
art@norby.acns.nwu.edu            |           Constantly Swapping

art@norby.acns.nwu.edu (Art Miller) (07/18/90)

In article <3693@qip.UUCP> bobm@qip.UUCP (Bob Maccione) writes:
>In article <9768@accuvax.nwu.edu> art@norby.acns.nwu.edu (Art Miller) writes:
>}In article <31715@cup.portal.com> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com
>}
>}The original poster may have wanted to know how to turn off the aliens'
>}firepower *completely* (for good).  I know it's possible in the coin-op
>}version of Galaxian, but to my knowledge you can't to it on the home
>}version.
>}
>
>hey, how do you do that!?!?

Hmmm....that's a good question...  Let's see what I can remember.

It goes something like this:  Shoot all the aliens except for one of the
two little guys on the far right (maybe the left instead...)
Anyhow, don't shoot him--instead, wait until he quits firing at you for
several passes, then shoot him.  When the next board comes up, none of
the aliens will shoot at you for the rest of the game (or maybe it's
until you lose a ship...)  Or maybe all this cheese is for *Galaga*,
not Galaxian...

Hey, I make no claims as to the accuracy of this information..heh, heh..
But, really, this *does* work--I even had the patience to to it once
(You have to wait for like 10-15 min. before the little bugger quits
firing...)

Arthur Miller, Student Consultant |
Northwestern University           |   Neitzche: "God is dead."
art@norby.acns.nwu.edu            |   God: Neitzche is dead.   ;-)

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (07/18/90)

>It goes something like this:  Shoot all the aliens except for one of the
>two little guys on the far right (maybe the left instead...)
>Anyhow, don't shoot him--instead, wait until he quits firing at you for
>several passes, then shoot him.  When the next board comes up, none of
>the aliens will shoot at you for the rest of the game (or maybe it's
>until you lose a ship...)  Or maybe all this cheese is for *Galaga*,
>not Galaxian...
>
>Hey, I make no claims as to the accuracy of this information..heh, heh..
>But, really, this *does* work--I even had the patience to to it once
>(You have to wait for like 10-15 min. before the little bugger quits
>firing...)

For those out there who only take one quarter into an arcade....

Galaga, not galaxian.

This bug was reported to be fixed in 1982+ machinesm, although it has
always worked for me....   :)

The idea/concept is to try to ``flip'' or ``roll'' a register/counter.

The register is the shot register...

(Now from memory, since I haven't played this game seriously for several
 years...)

This trick should be done with your first ship... and if you play a two
player game and your opponent/partner really wants to wait, if the first
person does it... BOTH games will be played with the aliens NOT firing!

(It's amazing what you do in a dorm when you're bored!)
(Oh, and we usually had chairs in front of the video games.... )

Basically, with your first ship on the first wave, try NOT to shoot
any of the YELLOW ships until they are in formation.  The reason is
that you want to leave TWO of the LEFT-MOST (that's lower left) YELLOW
ships.

After you have left the correct two ships, you can go sit near the
right side (Approx 1.5 screen inches) and MOST of their shots will
miss you.  What you have to watch out for is tat every once and a
while a ship will go OFF of LEFT side of the sreen and you will HEAR
that a shot was fired.... well, that shot MAY come on the RIGHT side
of the screen and it WILL hit you if you don't move.

Ok, with two ships going at you... the wait time for this scheme has
been reduced from the one ship time of approximately 15 minutes to
approximately 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

Every once and a while a ship will make the noise that is has fired,
but you will not see a shot...  For fun you can study the patterns...

This is what happens, usually:
(If you kept track of which was the FIRST ship to do its run attack)

The first ship will go OFF the left side of the screen and you will
HEAR the normal shot noise.... but, no shot will be fired.  Then, then
second ship will make the NOISE that it has fired, but there will ALSO
not be a shot.

That is your signal.

If you shoot both of these ships before they leave the bottom of the
screen, then for the rest of the game, the aliens shold not shoot!
No, go find a game that gives you an extra guy at every 70k or so...
and rack'em up!  I think the most extra ships I have ever seen is like
15... and I believe I have made it to wave 272..... or so.

HINTS:

If you shot these ships when only one or two shots were fired (after
waiting approx > 5 minutes) then for the rest of the game the ships
will only be able to fire ONE or TWO (depending on how many shots were
fired when you killed the ships).... but even with one shot the game
gets difficult.  This is a good thing to do after you have played with them
NOT shooting for a game or two.

My score used to be about 50k-120k average WITH them shooting...
After I played for like 3 hours straight..... with them NOT shooting...
and then I played a normal game, I could get around 170k and up.

Any questions?

arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu (Kenneth Arromdee) (07/18/90)

In article <9837@accuvax.nwu.edu> art@norby.acns.nwu.edu (Art Miller) writes:
>It goes something like this:  Shoot all the aliens except for one of the
>two little guys on the far right (maybe the left instead...)
>Anyhow, don't shoot him--instead, wait until he quits firing at you for
>several passes, then shoot him.  When the next board comes up, none of
>the aliens will shoot at you for the rest of the game (or maybe it's
>until you lose a ship...)  Or maybe all this cheese is for *Galaga*,
>not Galaxian...

It _is_ Galaga, not Galaxian.  (And yes, I've done it too.)
--
"I will not instigate revolution..." "I will not instigate revolution..."
"I will not instigate revolution..."  --The Simpsons

Kenneth Arromdee (UUCP: ....!jhunix!arromdee; BITNET: arromdee@jhuvm;
     INTERNET: arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu)