[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 8 bit clocks

ftjlh@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (HARRIS JAY L) (09/03/90)

This message is empty.

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (09/05/90)

J harris writes:
 [the commodedoor]
>has a workable aclock available and ports to shove stuff in and out of the
>machine. Is there anything like this for the little Ataris? Don't let
>a good boy go bad (by buying a CommodeDoor)! Thanks.   j harris

  Ugh, what an awful thought. :)

  ICD has the RTime-8 clock which keeps time even when the Atari is off.  For
I/O you can use the serial port, the parallel port, the 850 interface, or
even the joystick ports, it all depends on what you want to do.  You could
also buy other interfaces for the Atari.
  What is it that you want to do?

Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

ftjlh@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (HARRIS JAY L) (09/06/90)

a timer. The (ugh) C-64 mentioned is one we use at the NPR FM station
to control machines starts, stops, and transponder frequencies. I wrote
the software, all the while thinking, "Gawd ****, I wish I could have
used the 800/130 instead!"
    Commodore did make it easier than our friends from Sunnyvale, but the
hardware is JUNK, IMHO, and I've beat on the keyboards a lot. Beyond the
smoke from the flames, tho, I'd like a clock I could check from BASIC, then
shove some number out one of the ports to be decoded (what we do at the
station) by some interface box.
    I don't see that atari BASIC has a provision for clock.... does the
ICD cart come with some extended language? I also need info on the ports
of the 800XL and 130XE lines... any help appreciated. Thanks.. j

gdtltr@freezer.it.udel.edu (Gary Duzan) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep6.092043.23702@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> ftjlh@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:
=>    I don't see that atari BASIC has a provision for clock.... does the
=>ICD cart come with some extended language? I also need info on the ports
=>of the 800XL and 130XE lines... any help appreciated. Thanks.. j

   I believe there is a Z: handler for the clock. You can send XIO calls to
the Z: device to read the time. This will also work with plain SpartaDOS (using
the jiffy clock) if you load the device driver. The RTime-8 would be much more
accurate and wouldn't have to be reset all the time. Alternatively, I believe
you can PEEK/POKE the time if you study the manual well enough.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                          gdtltr@freezer.it.udel.edu
   _o_                    --------------------------                      _o_

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (09/08/90)

> Gary Duzan recently wrote,
>
> In article <1990Sep6.092043.23702@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> ftjlh@acad3.fai.
> alaska.edu writes:
> =>    I don't see that atari BASIC has a provision for clock.... does the
> =>ICD cart come with some extended language? I also need info on the ports
> =>of the 800XL and 130XE lines... any help appreciated. Thanks.. j
>
>    I believe there is a Z: handler for the clock. You can send XIO calls to
> the Z: device to read the time. [...]

Tell me more about this Z: handler -- is this something specific to the ICD
R-Time 8 cartridge, or will it read the software clock (memory locations
18,19,20) on a stock Atari?  Does it come with the R-Ttime 8, or is it avail-
able as a separate itemn?  From ICD?  Public domain?  I'd be interested in an
easily-pollable-from-BASIC clock, myself.

Thanks in advance, Gary. (Tell Sunita B. I sent mail to her "new" username,
but haven't heard back...)

Chris Chiesa
  Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

gdtltr@freezer.it.udel.edu (Gary Duzan) (09/09/90)

In article <33658@cup.portal.com> Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com writes:
=>> Gary Duzan recently wrote,
=>>
=>> alaska.edu writes:
=>> =>    I don't see that atari BASIC has a provision for clock.... does the
=>> =>ICD cart come with some extended language? I also need info on the ports
=>> =>of the 800XL and 130XE lines... any help appreciated. Thanks.. j
=>>
=>>    I believe there is a Z: handler for the clock. You can send XIO calls to
=>> the Z: device to read the time. [...]
=>
=>Tell me more about this Z: handler -- is this something specific to the ICD
=>R-Time 8 cartridge, or will it read the software clock (memory locations
=>18,19,20) on a stock Atari?  Does it come with the R-Ttime 8, or is it avail-
=>able as a separate itemn?  From ICD?  Public domain?  I'd be interested in an
=>easily-pollable-from-BASIC clock, myself.
=>
   ZHAND.COM comes with the SpartaDOS Construction Set, and probably with
R-Time 8 as well (I don't own it). SpartaDOS maintains its own jiffy clock
independant of the 18-20 clock. I believe there are a couple PEEKs to read
the SpartaDOS time. If you have the R-Time 8, it is used instead of the jiffy
clock, so the SpartaDOS clock will be more accurate. This usage doesn't
require ZHAND.
   However, if you are using another DOS, you can access the R-Time 8 with
ZHAND, which creates the Z: handler. I believe that you can also use ZHAND to
read the SpartaDOS jiffy clock if you don't have the R-Time 8.
   If you are seriously interested, you should probably call ICD. I don't have
my Atari books with me, and I don't even know if ICD still makes the thing.

=>Thanks in advance, Gary. (Tell Sunita B. I sent mail to her "new" username,
=>but haven't heard back...)
=>
   Ok, I'll remind her.

=>Chris Chiesa