[comp.sys.atari.8bit] ibm writing atari format

cierdain@ucrmath.ucr.edu (michael barnes) (09/21/90)

Hi,
	Months and months ago, I heard about a program that let IBM's write
Atari 8-bit readable disks.  Just yesterday, I noticed that a program such
as this is available on the atari.archive.  However, the little blurb says
that it writes Mydos format disks.  Unfortunately, I do not have Mydos, and,
while it too is available at the archive, my only way to down load stuff for
my old atari is through the IBM's at work, which means I need the Util
program, which means I need Mydos...and around we go.....  So, my question
is, are Mydos formated disks compatible with anything else?  I have copies
of Dos 2.5, 3.0 and XL floating around somewhere, will any of these work?
For that matter, does the IBM program work?  Any and all suggestions of how
I might be able to get Util and/or Mydos would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew Cullum (cierdain@ucrmath.ucr.edu or Elvis@watnxt2.ucr.edu)

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (09/22/90)

Andrew Cullum writes:
---------------------
>Hi,
>	Months and months ago, I heard about a program that let IBM's write
>Atari 8-bit readable disks.  Just yesterday, I noticed that a program such
>as this is available on the atari.archive.  However, the little blurb says
>that it writes Mydos format disks.  Unfortunately, I do not have Mydos, and,
>while it too is available at the archive, my only way to down load stuff for
>my old atari is through the IBM's at work, which means I need the Util
>program, which means I need Mydos...and around we go.....  So, my question
>is, are Mydos formated disks compatible with anything else?  I have copies
>of Dos 2.5, 3.0 and XL floating around somewhere, will any of these work?
>For that matter, does the IBM program work?  Any and all suggestions of how
>I might be able to get Util and/or Mydos would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Andrew Cullum (cierdain@ucrmath.ucr.edu or Elvis@watnxt2.ucr.edu)

  The IBM->Atari programs write double density Atari DOS 2.0 compatible disks.
With the exception of a few (weird) Atari DOSes, all DOSes for the Atari can
read this format.  I suspect that the authors of the program simply didn't
think that Atari DOS 2.0 supported double density.

Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (09/23/90)

Since the topic of the PC-writing-Atari-disks utility has come up again,
and since I was the latest person to post the UUencoded executable of same,
this might be an opportune moment to jump in and offhandedly mention that
I was subsequently able to obtain the SOURCE CODE for this beast --- from
Bob Puff's BBS, I think, although I use so many it's hard to be certain...

The user interface is written in C, and all the I/O is done in assembly...

If there's enough interest (e-mail) I could be persuaded to get around to
posting it as I had originally intended before getting busy and sidetracked.

 Chris Chiesa
   Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com