[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Thinking of Buying an ST.

rrwood@contact.uucp (roy wood) (10/03/90)

I'm thinking of buying a new machine, and I've come up with the following
thoughts:

1) A Mac would be really nice, but it's too expensive.
2) AT clones are attractively cheap these days.
3) an ST is cheap and I can get emulators for PC's and Macs.

The job I'm in has me working on Macs and IBM-compatibles, so the ST
option is fairly attractive.  My only question is, just how happy would
I be with the ST setup?

So, to those of you out there with ST's, what's your opinion?  How good
are the Mac/PC emulators for the ST?  Do you have any advice for someone
getting set-up with an ST system?  (i.e. advantages of 520 vs 1040,
what hard-drive to buy, colour or mono monitor, etc.)

As well, I don't hear much about the ST these days.... Is it about to go
the way of the dodo?

Thanks for your words,

Roy Wood.

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (10/03/90)

- So, to those of you out there with ST's, what's your opinion?  How
- good are the Mac/PC emulators for the ST?

A friend of mine has a Spectre GCR (Mac emulation) and a Supercharger
(IBM emulation) and loves them both.  He has an 80-meg hard drive
(with ICD host adapter) with Mac and MS-DOS partitions for his
emulators.

- Do you have any advice - for someone getting set-up with an ST
- system?  (i.e. advantages of 520 vs 1040, what hard-drive to buy,
- colour or mono monitor, etc.)

What are you going to be using it for?

- As well, I don't hear much about the ST these days.... Is it about
- to go the way of the dodo?

If you don't hear much about the ST, you're not looking in the right
places.  You must seek information; it doesn't come to you like the
Mac and IBM world does.
Ed Krimen    - ekrimen@csuchico.edu -   |||   SysOp, Fuji BBS 916-894-1261
Video Production Major                  |||       [ THIS SPACE AVAILABLE ]
California State University, Chico     / | \      [     LEAVE E-MAIL     ]

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct2.231819.16122@contact.uucp> rrwood@contact.uucp (roy wood) writes:

>I'm thinking of buying a new machine, and I've come up with the following
>thoughts:
>...  My only question is, just how happy would I be with the ST setup?
>Roy Wood.

It sounds like an ST might be perfect for your needs - I'd highly recommend
mono monitor if Mac emulation is at all important, though you might wish to
get a multisync if color AT emulation is equally important.

Mac emulation is nearly perfect, though (currently) at the speed of a Mac SE
(not SE/30). Disk I/O will be substantially faster, however.

Using SuperCharger you will have decent AT emulation, with the added benefit
of true multitasking PC and ST processes (each has its own memory).

I'd recommend a largish hard drive since you'll have three OS files residing
on the disk - 80 Meg might be enough (of course, this depends entirely on
your needs). Many places sell roll-your-own hard drives, or you can choose
from a wide variety of configurations. Look for an ICD or BMS host controller.

A 1040STE might be a good choice - easily RAM upgradeable with SIMMS, shouldn't
cost more than $699 + monitor + hard drive.

Total sample cost:

  1040STE: $700
  Mono monitor: $150
  80 Meg HD: $700
  Spectre GCR+ROMS: $400
  SuperCharger (PC emulator): $450

About $2400 for a complete ST/PC/Mac, add $300 to replace the mono with a
multisync (PanaSync 1024x768 .28 dot pitch is $429 around here).
#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (10/06/90)

I hate to say it, but in addition to four or five Atari 8-bit systems
I also have an Amiga, and let me just point out that the Amiga does
all the stuff you claim for the ST (Mac and PC emulation, e.g.) PLUS
can multi-task (actually RUN more than one thing at a tim -- I regularly
download from Portal and play a video game on the system at the SAME
time...

Far be it from me to say any particular computer is better or worse than
any other, but if all you're interested in is emulation of OTHER computers,
you might as well get those AND some other nifty stuff.  Emulate the PC
in one window, and do something else in another at the same time, heheh...

Note: I don't have full details on what it takes to do all this stuff, as
  I have access to real PCs and Macs and don't bother with the emulators;
  I DO have a friend who does this though: write to aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
  for a well-considered and knowledgeable response.