[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Uneraseable files

umhild11@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jeff 'Zar' Hildebrand) (10/18/90)

I just discovered that I have a bunch of wonderful files on my hard disk that I
simply can NOT erase. I am using SpartaDOS X. I downloaded the files into a
subdirectory previously, and successfully un-arced them. Then I lost those
copies, and downloaded them again. Now they will not delete, and they also can
not be un-arced. It is my suspicion that the sector maps for these files may
somehow have been corrupted. Is there any way at all that I can fix these
things up, or will I have to archive and reformat (yet again!!!)?

Jeff

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (10/19/90)

  Try cleanup.com to fix any problems that the files might have.  Before
doing that, however, check to make sure they aren't Hidden or Protected.
Do an ATR -H *.* and an ATR -P *.* in the directory where the files are.

Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

umhild11@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jeff 'Zar' Hildebrand) (10/19/90)

In article <35011@cup.portal.com> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:

>  Try cleanup.com to fix any problems that the files might have.  Before
>doing that, however, check to make sure they aren't Hidden or Protected.
>Do an ATR -H *.* and an ATR -P *.* in the directory where the files are.
>
>Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

I've had SDX for a while, so I'm familiar with prtotected and hidden mode,
those were the first things I looked for.  What I neglected to mention is that
when I type ERASE ACEC.ARC (for example) it seems to read a little stuff off
the disk and then lock up. The RESET key can be safely hit - the file is not
flagged as deleted yet.

More importantly though, what is CLEANUP.COM, and where can I get a copy (since
I don't seem to have one)? I do have FTP access here, so if you could name a
site, or send me the UUencoded file I would really appreciate it.

Jeff

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (10/20/90)

Jeff writes:
>In article <35011@cup.portal.com> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes)
>writes:
>>
>>  Try cleanup.com to fix any problems that the files might have.  Before
>>doing that, however, check to make sure they aren't Hidden or Protected.
>>Do an ATR -H *.* and an ATR -P *.* in the directory where the files are.
>>
>>Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com
>
>I've had SDX for a while, so I'm familiar with prtotected and hidden mode,
>those were the first things I looked for.  What I neglected to mention is that
>when I type ERASE ACEC.ARC (for example) it seems to read a little stuff off
>the disk and then lock up. The RESET key can be safely hit - the file is not
>flagged as deleted yet.

  CLEANUP.COM is a utility from ICD.  It comes with the SpartaDOS ToolKit
(price unknown).
  Alternatives...there aren't any really, but if you understand the disk
structure you can use DISKRX.COM (also in the toolkit) or FIXDMP.OBJ.
  DISKRX.COM allows you to edit spartados disks.  It is a really nice utility
to have.
  FIXDMP.OBJ is a disk editor also, originally written by Atari for use with
DOS 2.0.  It will work with a SpartaDOS disk, but you really have to know what
you are doing.  The same holds true for any disk editor.  FIXDMP.OBJ was
released to the general public some time ago, so while it is copyrighted, you
can legally use it and it can be distributed. If you want this, I'll be happy
to uuencode it and post it to this newsgroup.  It is only about 4k long.