[comp.sys.atari.8bit] DIRT

v070mvl4@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Andrew D Szalasny) (11/21/90)

    OK guys:
A) as to the Atari ST being posted in the 8bit board.....

   I remember Tramiel buying Atari in '84 and all the old atari management
popping up at commodore, and I remember the designer of the ANTIC chip
creating a new and sophisticated chip for graphics and placing it in a new
computer called the amiga.....so which computer is REALLY the next generation
of atari....I don't consider the ST it....
So why post about stuff that doesn't even interface with the 8bit line
(except as a printer buffer) in theis base....

Oh, I now own an IBM.....

Ah the disk drive is the indus GT....great drive, but they went out of business
]just as the ST arrived I believe.....but did they ever come out with something
I believe was called the Ethernet?????

As to the DIRT program...3bit binary number stored in one byte??

if the number is in the last three bits, just

AND #$10
that shoulddo it....

l8r
ADS'90

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (11/21/90)

In article <47136@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v070mvl4@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>Oh, I now own an IBM.....

But you still kept your faithful old Atari, right?

>Ah the disk drive is the indus GT....great drive, but they went out of business
>]just as the ST arrived I believe.....but did they ever come out with something
>I believe was called the Ethernet?????

Uh, no.

Ethernet is a term describing networking hardware. Originally developed by
Xerox (???), it is now the de-facto standard in computer networking, at
least in educational and DoD computing sites. The majority of the networks
which make up the Internet are ethernet based. The network I am using to
enter this message is an ethernet network. Chances are, yours is ethernet, also.

If Indus came out with anything they called "ethernet" (which, if they did,
I never heard of it), they blatantly stole the name (unless, of course, Indus
made ethernet boards for 8-bit Ataris! ;-)

Perhaps you're thinking of something else, like Synchromesh (a feature of Indus
drives which sped up disk <-> computer SIO transfers by around 400%.

--
Scott Coleman                                                      tmkk@uiuc.edu
"Quoth the Raven: 'Eat My Shorts!'"  - Raven Bart, Simpsons' Halloween Special

gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu (Gary D Duzan) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov21.142243.13960@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) writes:
=>In article <47136@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v070mvl4@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
=>>
=>>Oh, I now own an IBM.....
=>
=>But you still kept your faithful old Atari, right?
=>
=>>Ah the disk drive is the indus GT....great drive, but they went out of business
=>>]just as the ST arrived I believe.....but did they ever come out with something
=>>I believe was called the Ethernet?????
=>
=>Perhaps you're thinking of something else, like Synchromesh (a feature of Indus
=>drives which sped up disk <-> computer SIO transfers by around 400%.
=>

   I think there was another item released around then that allows several
8-bits to share disks, printer, etc. That might be what he was thinking if.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                            gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu
   _o_                      ----------------------                        _o_

dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) (11/22/90)

In article <47136@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v070mvl4@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>.....so which computer is REALLY the next generation of atari....

The Commodore Amiga is technically the next machine after the 8-bit Atari.
Don't believe me? Ask Jay Miner who designed the 800 then ask him who
designed the Amiga...

Officially, the ST is the next machine after the 800. I own an ST and 800,
both are Atari, I support both machines, I'm happy with both machines...
End of story.

Dave.