[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Bad 1050 Disk Drive

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (12/03/90)

I have a 1050 disk drive that works only intermittently...
sometimes when you have the cover closed...and the computer
tries to access the drive..the drive light becomes a dim
red instead of the bright red...and sort of fluctuates
and at the same time the drive makes a slow whirring noise
like it is trying to read a bad sector of the disk...
does any one know how to fix the problem and where I can
get spare parts for low price...I don't think the drive is
worth more than $25 in working condition...so I probably don't
want to spend more than that

I appreciate any helpful responses

thanks
Saurabh
smisra@eos.ncsu.edu

norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Norman Lin) (12/04/90)

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu writes:

>I have a 1050 disk drive that works only intermittently...
>sometimes when you have the cover closed...and the computer
>tries to access the drive..the drive light becomes a dim
>red instead of the bright red...and sort of fluctuates
>and at the same time the drive makes a slow whirring noise
>like it is trying to read a bad sector of the disk...
>does any one know how to fix the problem and where I can
>get spare parts for low price...I don't think the drive is
>worth more than $25 in working condition...so I probably don't
>want to spend more than that

This happened to my disk drive too.  Upon disassembling it, I found that
the band that drives the disk spindle (which appears to be some sort of
cloth/rubber band) had gotten brittle over time and about 50% of it had
actually gotten so hard that it had flaked off, leaving a large amount
of blackish dusty particles strewn about the interior of the drive.  After
cleaning all this junk out, and refitting what was left of the band back
into place, the drive still worked but on some cheaper/older diskettes
(which I assume spin with more resistance within their jackets due to lack
of lubrication or somesuch) the drive exhitibited exactly the same symptoms;
a dim light, and a strained whir of the disk drive.  My solution was to
again open the drive and insert a small piece of folded paper on the door
closing mechanism, so that the door wouldn't close all the way.  My reason
for this was that by not closing the door as far, the disk head wouldn't
press so hard against the diskette, thus allowing slightly easier spinning
of the drive with the reduced torque of the deteriorated band.  The problem
with this, of course, is increased errors in reading/writing, since the
disk head is now not pressed so firmly and reliably against the magnetic
medium.  A tradeoff, but it seems the easiest solution.  A better one would
be to replace the band, but I don't know where you could obtain one.

>I appreciate any helpful responses

Hope this helps.  I know that though my 1050 is old, I still don't want to
junk it yet.

>thanks
>Saurabh
>smisra@eos.ncsu.edu

---|\-#-/_|-------/|-------,*.----||---Norman Lin, University of Oklahoma----
---|/-----|------/-|---,"--|---,"-||------norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu-------
--/|------------/-*'---|/------|--||-----(IP addr: 129.15.[20|22|24].2)------
-|/|\---/_|-----|-----------------||-"I gazed in your eyes, and saw the moon-
--\|/-----|----*'-----------------||------------and the skies"---------------

parsons@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Scott S Parish) (12/04/90)

If it is the belt.  You can probably get a new one from B&C Computervisions
or American Techna-Vision.  I thought I saw the part listed in one of their
catalogs.

Hope they are still in business.

B&C Computer Visions
3257 kifer Rd.
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408) 749-1003

American Techna-Vision
2098 Pike Ave.
San Leandro, CA 94577
1 800 551-9995

--Scott Parish

No fancy signature.  I can barely use this editor.