[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Need information on Atari 5200 game

dpalermo@aludra.usc.edu (Dan Palermo) (01/20/91)

Hello,

  I have picked up a surplus 5200 to use the motherboard as an example
to an introduction to computer hardware course for art students.  Anyway,
I was wondering if someone could help me identify the four largest chips
on the board.  They are all 40 pin chips and we would like to be able
to point out the CPU, MMU(?), etc.  The chips are:

		OKI (Atari) C012294-22 M3981
		Rockwell    C014806-12  8302
		AMI         C014805-1  8308MDL  C03069
		AMI         C012296D-01  8249MBQ  C04473

   Any other details anyone may have of the layout of the board would
also be appreciated (amount of RAM, clock speed, etc).

Thanks for your help,
   Dan Palermo
   dpalermo@usc.edu

whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Walt Hoffman) (01/22/91)

In article <14255@chaph.usc.edu> dpalermo@aludra.usc.edu (Dan Palermo) writes:
>  I have picked up a surplus 5200 ...
>...(what) are all 40 pin chips ..able
>
>		OKI (Atari) C012294-22 M3981
>		Rockwell    C014806-12  8302
>		AMI         C014805-1  8308MDL  C03069
>		AMI         C012296D-01  8249MBQ  C04473

CO12294 is a custom Atari chip nicknamed POKEY.  It stands for POt/KEYboard.
It is used for I/O, sounds, paddle inputs, and internal timing.

CO14806 is a slightly modified 6502 microprocessor.  Atari added some circuitry
internally to cut down on the parts count to syncronize operation with the
custom graphics chip.  This had the nickname CPU SALLY.

CO14805 is the GTIA chip used for graphics.  It stands for Graphic Television
Interface Adapter.  Its primary task is to generate color and luminance signals
from the ANTIC display processor.  It also monitors the joystick trigger
buttons.

CO12296 is the ANTIC chip which is the display processor.  It stands for
Alphanumeric Television Interface Controller.  It is a custom display
microprocessor with an instruction set customized for graphics generation.
It also has the ability to control the address and data bus and RAM refresh.

--
Walt Hoffman -- Jet Propulsion Laboratory
whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa.gov or elroy!jato!whoffman@csvax.caltech.edu

jsd@boreal.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan22.001137.26717@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Walt Hoffman) writes:

[[ Stuff about the chips inside of the 5200.  They were POKEY, ANTIC, GTIA, and
   and modified 6502 ]]

So the 5200 was pretty much the same as the 8bit?

--
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
r     ___     _                                          r

dave@interlan.Interlan.COM (Dave Goldblatt) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan22.004303.9281@rice.edu> jsd@boreal.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) writes:

   So the 5200 was pretty much the same as the 8bit?

Yup.  In fact, I had a couple of 5200 games someone dunped onto the 800.

-dg-
--
"Dan Rather?  NOT!"  		*	Dave Goldblatt	[dave@interlan.com]
  - Wayne Campbell,		*	Diagnostic Engineering

apc@cellar.UUCP (Lionel Ginzburg) (01/23/91)

jsd@boreal.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) writes:

> In article <1991Jan22.001137.26717@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa
>
> [[ Stuff about the chips inside of the 5200.  They were POKEY, ANTIC, GTIA, a
>    and modified 6502 ]]
>
> So the 5200 was pretty much the same as the 8bit?

Yep, the 5200 is almost exactly the same as an XL. In fact, most cartridges
for the 5200 can run on an XL/XE machine (or even a 400 or 800, if there
are no funny OS calls) with little or no modification if you have them in a
proper format. (I've never seen a 5200 cartridge, so I don't know if they're
the same size, but I've seen various binary files that were transferred over
by pirates and/or people who wanted to continue to play their favorite games
once their 5200 broke down, so I assume it can't be that much of a feat.)

EMail to: uunet!cellar!apc