[comp.sys.atari.8bit] How can I keep Kermit65 from losing Chars?

rmartin@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Martin) (01/25/91)

I am trying to use my 8-bit as a 9600 baud terminal, but Kermit 65 drops
characters at an annoying rate. Does anyone know a way (other than
clearing the sceen) to keep kermit from losing characters? I would
like to keep using kermit because the 80-column vt00 emulation is
alot easier to use with unix machines. Thanks-
						-Rich
						 rmartin@remus.rutgers.edu

nin15b0b@merrimack.edu (David E. Sheafer, Class of 1989) (01/25/91)

In article <Jan.24.22.15.10.1991.14116@remus.rutgers.edu>, rmartin@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Martin) writes:
> I am trying to use my 8-bit as a 9600 baud terminal, but Kermit 65 drops
> characters at an annoying rate. Does anyone know a way (other than
> clearing the sceen) to keep kermit from losing characters? I would
> like to keep using kermit because the 80-column vt00 emulation is
> alot easier to use with unix machines. Thanks-
> 						-Rich
> 						 rmartin@remus.rutgers.edu

  One possible solution that may or may not work is pressing the Atari Inverse
key on and off I believe that this starts and stops flow control.

--
David E. Sheafer

internet:  nin15b0b@merrimack.edu
        or
uucp:      samsung!hubdub!nin15b0b

GEnie:     D.SHEAFER
Bitnet:    Sheafer_davi@bentley

gdtltr@chopin.udel.edu (root@research.bdi.com (Systems Research Supervisor)) (01/25/91)

In article <Jan.24.22.15.10.1991.14116@remus.rutgers.edu> rmartin@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Martin) writes:
=>
=>I am trying to use my 8-bit as a 9600 baud terminal, but Kermit 65 drops
=>characters at an annoying rate. Does anyone know a way (other than
=>clearing the sceen) to keep kermit from losing characters? I would
=>like to keep using kermit because the 80-column vt00 emulation is
=>alot easier to use with unix machines. Thanks-
=>						-Rich
=>						 rmartin@remus.rutgers.edu

   Try turning on flow control; that should do it. It seems that the
Kermit-65 screen handler is too slow (especially at scrolling) to handle
even 2400 bps.  I have seen proposed improvements on the scrolling
algorithm which I imagine would speed things up a bit, but I doubt
that it could ever handle a steady stream at 9600 bps. An increase in
input buffer size would help most cases, though.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                            gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu
   _o_                      ----------------------                        _o_

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (01/26/91)

> In article <Jan.24.22.15.10.1991.14116@remus.rutgers.edu> rmartin@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Martin) writes:
> => Does anyone know a way (other than
> =>clearing the sceen) to keep kermit from losing characters?

> I have seen proposed improvements on the scrolling
> algorithm which I imagine would speed things up a bit, but I doubt
> that it could ever handle a steady stream at 9600 bps.

I'll bet that you could make a screen scrolling algorithm that keeps
up at 9600 bps by using a custom display list, with every line of text
mapped to a different location in memory.   Then, to scroll the screen
up a line, you merely rewrite the pointers in the display list instead
of copying data.  The memory holding the line which scrolled off the
top of the screen is then used to hold the next line of text at the
bottom of the screen.

m.
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"Long before one is anything like drunk, the tongue is loosened,
 and words may slip out which should never have been said.  Watch
 this particularly when it's all girls together.  That femimine urge
 to confide may trick you into repeating what your husband said about
 the president and the boss's wife and how that had a lot to do with
 the boss's promotion -- words one of the women present is sure to
 make you regret some day."

	--Nina Fischer, "How to Help Your Husband Get Ahead"
	part of the Amy Vanderbilt Success Program for Women

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (01/27/91)

Odd, I've never seen Kermit65 drop characters at 2400 baud, Gary...  That's
using it with a VAX/VMS system, with all the screen-control that goes on in
the EDT text editor and similar applications...   And I know I never did
anything about Flow Control, because it comes as a total surprise to me to
hear that there's even a way to influence it.  Any comments?

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (01/27/91)

Michael,

    This isn't an Atari-related message, but I noticed you work for SGI...

I work for a company which sells turnkey Digital Image Recorder systems,
based on the DEC MicroVAX computer.  Some of the systems we've placed in
the field are configured to connect, via Ethernet, to SGI-based turnkey
graphics workstations, and we've had some incompatibility problems.  Evi-
dence suggests it may be a TCP/IP "tuning" problem, either on the VAX or
on the SGI box; I have software tools for manipulating the VAX side but
there appears to be NOTHING on the SGI system(s) for examining or tweaking
Ethernet interface parameters.

I don't presume that you, yourself, necessarily know ANYTHING about this -- but
I wonder if you could recommend anyone I could talk to about it?  I've
found it impossible to approach SGI on the "authority" of my customer's
SGI service contract, because THAT expired before SGI had even gotten
my customer's system up-and-running, and my customer is loath to pay
by the hour for out-of-contract assistance.  I am hoping that as a "fellow
vendor" I might bypass this bottleneck.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for anything you can suggest.

  Chris Chiesa
  Software Engineer
  Light Valve Technology, A Kodak Company
    Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com  <-- account NOT related to employment!

gdtltr@chopin.udel.edu (root@research.bdi.com (Systems Research Supervisor)) (01/29/91)

In article <38513@cup.portal.com> Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com writes:
=>Odd, I've never seen Kermit65 drop characters at 2400 baud, Gary...  That's
=>using it with a VAX/VMS system, with all the screen-control that goes on in
=>the EDT text editor and similar applications...   And I know I never did
=>anything about Flow Control, because it comes as a total surprise to me to
=>hear that there's even a way to influence it.  Any comments?

   It tends to lose stuff when scrolling. Cursor movement and such aren't
really as much a problem.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration