[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Trouble with old disks...

yoshida@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Dan P. Yoshida) (01/24/91)

Recently I've been attempting to backup some of my atari disks (some
of which were originally written to in the early 80's). On some of the
disks I've been getting sector read errors (I was using Copymate sector
copier from ANTIC) that generate a "G4" error on my Indus GT drive.
It seems that the drive tries to read the sector several times, but
only sometimes can it eventually read the information (ie, it's NOT a
bad sector).
  Does anyone know of a utility that will allow me to specify a certain
sector to be continually looked at until the information is successfully
read? Will cleaning my drive read/write head help?

--dan

BTW - The disks are regular DOS 2 formatted disks with binary files
      on them (in case someone thought that the errors were from
      the drive encountering tricky copy-protection).

--
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--------------------------
Dan P. Yoshida     yoshida@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   --------------------------

ajbennett@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Andrew Bennett @ Miami University, Ohio) (01/25/91)

In article <36189@netnews.upenn.edu>, yoshida@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Dan P. Yoshida) writes:
> Recently I've been attempting to backup some of my atari disks (some
> of which were originally written to in the early 80's). On some of the
> disks I've been getting sector read errors (I was using Copymate sector
> copier from ANTIC) that generate a "G4" error on my Indus GT drive.
> It seems that the drive tries to read the sector several times, but
> only sometimes can it eventually read the information (ie, it's NOT a
> bad sector).
>   Does anyone know of a utility that will allow me to specify a certain
> sector to be continually looked at until the information is successfully
> read? Will cleaning my drive read/write head help?
>
> BTW - The disks are regular DOS 2 formatted disks with binary files
>       on them (in case someone thought that the errors were from
>       the drive encountering tricky copy-protection).

SmartDOS 6.1 (and higher) has a nifty function that you can reset the retry
times to read a sector.  If you think 9 times could do it, then see if you
can get yourself a copy.  SmartDOS will work in SD and DD.  I thought I heard
a rumor of a version working in HD, but never saw it.

Andrew

  **   Andrew Bennett         ajbennett@miavx1.bitnet  [MIAVX1::AJBENNETT]  **
  **   Miami University       ajbennett@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu               **
  **   Oxford, Ohio           ab55sanu@miamiu.bitnet                        **
  **   (not in Florida)       ab55sanu@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu                **

esok@ohs.uucp (Eric Sokolowsky) (02/01/91)

In DOS 2.x, I believe that there is a memory location that contains the
number of times that DOS will retry reading/writing a disk.
I will check for this and post another letter later.

--
*******Eric Sokolowsky (ohs!ohs-cs!esok@uunet.UU.NET)
People will buy anything that's one to a customer.