[comp.sys.atari.8bit] MULE for Atari800

clp@gumby.Altos.COM (clp) (02/02/91)

I just picked up an Atari 800 and a bunch of game cartridges.
I've heard a little about a game called MULE, and I want to
get it.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Does this game
only come on floppy?  Any info will be received with great joy.

Chuck L. Peterson
clp@altos.com

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) (02/04/91)

MULE is an (awesome) Electronic Arts game. I had it for my 800 when I
had an 800, before I got an ST. I don't think MULE is out for the ST...
it's kind of "Out of Print". It only comes on disk, I'm pretty sure, and
requires 48K (wow!)

Get a disk drive from somewhere, and a copy of MULE too. It's funny,
detailed, and you can play it hundreds of times without getting bored.

BTW, cartridge games can be only <16K due to the 8-bit's architecture...
pretty wimpy, considering some ST games require 1Mb (that's 1024K!)

|\    /|
|  \/  |  ike Greelish
Carnegie Mellon U. undergrad, professional writing major
quote: "Everything is broken."    ---Bob Dylan
stupid disclaimer: My opinions are.

kurt@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Kurt Mosiejczuk) (02/05/91)

In article <Ibf8poa00Uh783YxBO@andrew.cmu.edu> mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:
>MULE is an (awesome) Electronic Arts game. I had it for my 800 when I
>had an 800, before I got an ST. I don't think MULE is out for the ST...
>it's kind of "Out of Print". It only comes on disk, I'm pretty sure, and
>requires 48K (wow!)
 Scores of ST owners wanted Electronic Arts to do a conversion for the ST
but EA refused, even when Atari intervened personally, go figure...

>Get a disk drive from somewhere, and a copy of MULE too. It's funny,
>detailed, and you can play it hundreds of times without getting bored.
>
>BTW, cartridge games can be only <16K due to the 8-bit's architecture...
>pretty wimpy, considering some ST games require 1Mb (that's 1024K!)
  Actually, cartridges from the past few years have been much more than 16k,
they use bank switching now and I have even heard of 1 meg cartridges...

Kurt Mosiejczuk 					kurt@nick.csh.rit.edu

dddean@bluemoon.uucp (David D. Dean) (02/05/91)

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:

> BTW, cartridge games can be only <16K due to the 8-bit's architecture...
> pretty wimpy, considering some ST games require 1Mb (that's 1024K!)

I thought that the cartridges could be more than 16k, after all, how would
you explain some of the DISK-> Cartridge conversions like "Ace of Aces",
"Leader Board", and some of the newer (but still old) releases?

I think that the 65 xe enables the use of these, but I have used the xe
cartridges with my 800xl..

David D. Dean, President
Explorer Post 891
AT&T Bell Laboratories
dddean@bluemoon.uucp

potter@speedway.DAB.GE.COM (Jeff Potter) (02/06/91)

Mike,

I've just seen that Electronic Arts has released MULE for the
(gasp) Nintendo.  From the packaging, it appears to be much the
same game, with the graphics enhanced a little.  You're right, it
(IMHO) is the best multi-player strategy game yet produced.

Jeff

--
Jeff Potter
...potter@ge-dab.ge.com

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) (02/08/91)

Yeah, and I had to get rid of it when I got rid of my 800, it just
wouldn't run on the ST, couldn't even get the disk in the drive :-)

Electronic Arts are weenies for not releasing it for the ST.

|\    /|

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/08/91)

> Yeah, and I had to get rid of it when I got rid of my 800, it just
> wouldn't run on the ST, couldn't even get the disk in the drive :-)

> Electronic Arts are weenies for not releasing it for the ST.

It's a business decision.  They decided that a port of MULE to the
Atari ST and the Amiga simply wouldn't generate enough sales to be
worth it.

BTW, the author of MULE, Dan Bunten, currently has the rights to the
program.  So if you could find him and offer him a cut of the
proceeds, you could probably get a license to do an ST port...

m.
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"Never forget what gossips men are, and how they love to feel
 superior to so-and-so who `is having trouble with his wife.'"

	--Nina Fischer, "How to Help Your Husband Get Ahead"
	part of the Amy Vanderbilt Success Program for Women

SC260808@ysub.ysu.edu (02/10/91)

  >M.U.L.E. for the Atari ST.

   Does the ST not have translation programs from 8-bit?
   I read that there are some if you know where to look.

                                                     -- MIJ