[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Source for old Atari 400 parts

fjb@dhw68k.cts.com (Frank Bielsik) (02/21/91)

Hi:

Does anyone know of a place that has replacement parts for old Atari
400s?  I am specifically looking for a new keyboard.

Thanks,
Frank Bielsik
fjb@dhw68k.cts.com

asgardia@unixland.uucp (Craig Rothman) (02/21/91)

fjb@dhw68k.cts.com (Frank Bielsik) writes:

> Hi:
>
> Does anyone know of a place that has replacement parts for old Atari
> 400s?  I am specifically looking for a new keyboard.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank Bielsik
> fjb@dhw68k.cts.com

Why waste your time with a crummy 400?
Its a junk heap compared to some of the newer models.
The keyboard that thing has (if you can call it a keyboard!)
Isnt worth paying to replace.  The best thing you can do is
to buy a used 600xl, or 800xl.. Ive seen these advertised for
$25-$45 used.. It would pay to upgrade to a 800xl. Then you can
use RAMBO xl and get 256k ram for ramdisks.
You could also be able to add neat gadgets like the MIO and
hard drives too.
The 400 is not really worth it. Im not sure, but I dont think its
got any advantages to any of the newer models.
Anyways you can get a replacement keyboard for 12.50 from
American Technavision. 1-800-551-9995
Its the same Flat Horrid membrane sold with the thing originally.
Good luck!

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/21/91)

> fjb@dhw68k.cts.com (Frank Bielsik) writes:

>> Hi:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a place that has replacement parts for old Atari
>> 400s?  I am specifically looking for a new keyboard.
>>

> Why waste your time with a crummy 400?
> Its a junk heap compared to some of the newer models.

The 400 has four joystick ports, which makes it the only model other
than the original 800 which supports a four-player game of M.U.L.E.
All other models of the 8-bit are therefore inferior by comparison.

> The 400 is not really worth it. Im not sure, but I dont think its
> got any advantages to any of the newer models.

One can also say that the newer models have no real advantages over
the 400.

m.
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"Never forget what gossips men are, and how they love to feel
 superior to so-and-so who `is having trouble with his wife.'"

	--Nina Fischer, "How to Help Your Husband Get Ahead"
	part of the Amy Vanderbilt Success Program for Women

whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Walt Hoffman) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.000558.15650@dhw68k.cts.com> fjb@dhw68k.cts.com (Frank Bielsik) writes:
>Does anyone know of a place that has replacement parts for old Atari
>400s?  I am specifically looking for a new keyboard.

I know of someone who did Atari service in the good ol' days and still has some
of the Inkey B400 replacement keyboards.  These are third party keyboards
which have movable keys on them.  They are meant to be replacements for the
original membrane keyboards used on the Atari 400.  My first Atari computer
was a 400 and I used one of those keyboards for quite a few years
until I got my 800XL.  He doesn't service home computers anymore, he only deals
with coin operated arcade games (video, pinball, etc.).  He is selling
the remaining keyboards (new, unopened) to people who can use them for $10 each
plus the shipping costs (varies depending on location and method).

The Game Doc
8000 Wheatland Ave. Suite B
Sun Valley, CA        91352
800-766-3166
818-504-0440            fax # is 818-504-1153

I hope this helps.

--Walt.
--
Walt Hoffman -- Jet Propulsion Laboratory
whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa.gov or elroy!jato!whoffman@csvax.caltech.edu

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.000558.15650@dhw68k.cts.com> fjb@dhw68k.cts.com (Frank Bielsik) writes:
>Hi:
>
>Does anyone know of a place that has replacement parts for old Atari
>400s?  I am specifically looking for a new keyboard.
>
>Thanks,
>Frank Bielsik
>fjb@dhw68k.cts.com

	Hi Frank,
		You may want to call Best Electronics, they probably have the
largest supply of old (and new!) Atari parts and componets.  Best's address is
as follows:

 Best Electronics
 2021 The Alameda, Suite 290
 San Jose, CA  95126

 Phone: 408/243-6950

	When you call them, also ask for thier new catalog; it is has almost
every Atari part known to man!  Well relatively! {;^)  Bye...........

Luis Mark Outumuro III                |  "Well... you're damned if you do,
Computer Office Products 818/813-1051 |   and you're damned if you don't!"
Infoline                 818/813-1053 |         - Bart Simpson, 1990...

cfleck@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Chuck Fleckentein) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.000558.15650@dhw68k.cts.com> fjb@dhw68k.cts.com (Frank Bielsik) writes:
>Hi:
>
>Does anyone know of a place that has replacement parts for old Atari
>400s?  I am specifically looking for a new keyboard.
>
>Frank Bielsik
>fjb@dhw68k.cts.com

Try BEST ELECTRONICS
    2021 THE ALAMEDA, SUITE 290