[comp.sys.atari.8bit] What model is this? Is it worth it?

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (02/22/91)

I was out at the thrift store looking for a sofa (student deluxe) yesterday.
Anyway, in their *hi-tech* section, nestled amongst the terminals and the
TRS-80's, there was an Atari computer.  It was black, with the silver
keys down the right side.  What model is this?  It was going for $125, but I
think I could probably haggle them down to $50 if I tried hard enough.  Is
this worth it?  I've got an Amiga, but there are a few old games that I'd
like to play on the Atari.  How much would an old disk drive cost me?

--
		"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
		 He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA"  - The The

Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

asgardia@unixland.uucp (Craig Rothman) (02/23/91)

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

> I was out at the thrift store looking for a sofa (student deluxe) yesterday.
> Anyway, in their *hi-tech* section, nestled amongst the terminals and the
> TRS-80's, there was an Atari computer.  It was black, with the silver
> keys down the right side.  What model is this?  It was going for $125, but I
> think I could probably haggle them down to $50 if I tried hard enough.  Is
> this worth it?  I've got an Amiga, but there are a few old games that I'd
> like to play on the Atari.  How much would an old disk drive cost me?
--------------------------------
Theres 2 possiblities for this model.
1) 800xl,   2) 600xl.
For $125 new, thats not a fair price. If its a thrift store,
that means its used and thats even more of a ripoff.
IF you want an atari, call San Jose. I dont have the number, but
they sell 1200xls for $69 reconditioned.
IT comes with pac man i think. and they had some option where you
get a lot of crazy printers and accessories with it.
the 1200xl isnt great for someone who wants to expand a system.
YOu cant add an MIO, but it will work with almost all of the software.
The main difference is that the 1200xl has a better keyboard.
Theres other differences, but if your using it for games, then you
wouldnt care. Im sure someone here knows more about it than me anyways.
I used a 1200xl for years and years and had to upgrade to a 800xl
because I wanted to get an MIO and hard drive setup.
Ive been despising the keyboard on this thing ever since.