[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Elite - 6502 source wanted.

dh108@cs.city.ac.uk (KEATES M G) (02/15/91)

Does anyone have the source for the old BBC or CBM-64 version of this game,
as I am interested in the 3D routines, and also the algorithms for
planet naming, information etc. Better still, if anyone knows anything
about the elusive Atari 8-bit version, let the world know.

I assume that the source is under copyright (Acornsoft or Firebird) but
you learn more by looking at the source than simply playing the game,
and I'm sure many demo writers, up and coming programmers, (hackers)
call them what you like have resorted to scouring through impressive
routines in their time (and probably used them too).

Any agreements/disagreements to the above are welcome, but don't let it
deter you from posting the source!

     *   Mark Keates   * All the worlds a stage ,              *
     *     (dh108)     *                       and I'm a prop! *

ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb14.173939.20415@cs.city.ac.uk> dh108@cs.city.ac.uk (KEATES M G) writes:
>I assume that the source is under copyright (Acornsoft or Firebird) but
>you learn more by looking at the source than simply playing the game,
>and I'm sure many demo writers, up and coming programmers, (hackers)
>call them what you like have resorted to scouring through impressive
>routines in their time (and probably used them too).
>
>Any agreements/disagreements to the above are welcome, but don't let it
>deter you from posting the source!

Dream on.

Posting a copyrighted source to the net without the express permission
(in the unlikely event that anyone outside the company has the source)
of the copyright owners would be illegal, and an extremely serious abuse of
the network.  I find it amazing that anyone could be so ignorant of the
realities of copyright that he could even suggest such a thing.

Saying "it would be very useful to me" does not contravene an
international convention made law by just about every country the
InterNet goes into.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : + 61 2 805-9400
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : + 61 2 805-7433

jamie@defoe.enet.dec.com (03/05/91)

Why not just dissassemble Elite ? Granted the code would be
uncommented... but you can't have everything, can you ?!!!

				Jamie.