[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Help! Modem and how to get 80 columns

cehagen@rose.ucs.indiana.edu (Your name here) (03/07/91)

I need help finding what I need to be able to modify my Atari 800XL so that
I have at least VT100 capacity (preferably VT240) and 2400 Baud modem hookup
so that I can do schoolwork from home.

  My computer is only 40 columns normal, and while I have heard that you can
change that to 80 columns, I do not know how to do this. What software do I
use and will a VT100 terminal emulator solve this for me?

 What type/brand modem do I need... And since this an atari and naturally more
difficult to find, where can I mail order for this type of equipment/software?

                                 Thanks,
                                   Chris Hagen

                                    CEHAGEN@ucs.indiana.edu
"Never moon a werewolf"

asgardia@unixland.uucp (Craig Rothman) (03/07/91)

cehagen@rose.ucs.indiana.edu (Your name here) writes:

> I need help finding what I need to be able to modify my Atari 800XL so that
> I have at least VT100 capacity (preferably VT240) and 2400 Baud modem hookup
> so that I can do schoolwork from home.
>
>   My computer is only 40 columns normal, and while I have heard that you can
> change that to 80 columns, I do not know how to do this. What software do I
> use and will a VT100 terminal emulator solve this for me?
>
>  What type/brand modem do I need... And since this an atari and naturally mor
> difficult to find, where can I mail order for this type of equipment/software
Ok many questions.
Here goes. You dont modify your computer to emulate a vt100, you do
it with software (kermit 65). To use a 2400 baud modem you
need to purchase an interface of some sort (850, p-r connection,mio)
to connect it (youll also need a modem cable.).
Your computer is 40 columns, but you can buy an XEp80 to turn it
into an 80 column machine. but you need a monitor as 80 cols
wont work on a tv set if thats what you use for a monitor.
As for a modem.. ANY BRAND You want as long as it works reliably.
You can order the modem from anywhere as long as its an external.
YOU can get the software from most atari 8 bit bbs, and you
can get the needed cable from ICD.
WHew!

snyder@chopin.udel.edu (Mayleen G Snyder) (03/08/91)

kermit lose a whole two lines of data cause of the screen.....another thing if you know ACTION! and can get the codes for the VT220 set you can make your own term...same goes for MAC/65 except you could support a true 2400....
also when you hit BS on kermit it gives you a ^? instead of a bs....i use ^h instead.....

Sloopy X. Malibu                                    snyder@brahms.udel.edu
(chris   luckey)                                    snyder@mocha.acs.udel.edu

nin15b0b@merrimack.edu (03/08/91)

In article <16606@chopin.udel.edu>, snyder@chopin.udel.edu (Mayleen G Snyder) writes:
> kermit lose a whole two lines of data cause of the screen.....another thing if you know ACTION! and can get the codes for the VT220 set you can make your own term...same goes for MAC/65 except you could support a true 2400....
> also when you hit BS on kermit it gives you a ^? i>
>
> Sloopy X. Malibu                                    snyder@brahms.udel.edu
> (chris   luckey)                                    snyder@mocha.acs.udel.edu

  I use Kermit-65 and haven't ever noticed two lines missing, and the BS key
works as it is supposed too.  Are you using a different type of Kermit?
--
David E. Sheafer

internet:  nin15b0b@merrimack.edu
        or
uucp:      samsung!hubdub!nin15b0b

GEnie:     D.SHEAFER             Freenet ap345
Bitnet:    Sheafer_davi@bentley