[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Monitors for Atari

cfleck@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Chuck Fleckentein) (03/22/91)

I have a question about connecting a color monitor to an 800XL.

Has anyone used a NEC JC-1225MA Monitor with their 8-bit ?
Someone at work wants to sell this monitor to me and I want to
make sure it is compatible... He used it with his C64.  It has
two VCR like plugs in the back (video in and video out)....
I know I would have to buy a 5pin to video cable... Are there
any other considerations I need to take into account ?
What would be a normal price to pay for a monitor like this ?

Thanks
cfleck

cfleck@src.honeywell.com

njd@cbnewsd.att.com (nick.j.dimasi) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.183252.25475@src.honeywell.com> cfleck@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Chuck Fleckentein) writes:
>I have a question about connecting a color monitor to an 800XL.
>
>Has anyone used a NEC JC-1225MA Monitor with their 8-bit ?
>Someone at work wants to sell this monitor to me and I want to
>make sure it is compatible... He used it with his C64.  It has
>two VCR like plugs in the back (video in and video out)....
>I know I would have to buy a 5pin to video cable... Are there
>any other considerations I need to take into account ?

I've never seen this brand of monitor, but if it has 2  (and  only  2)
"VCR-like"  (RCA-type)  jacks  in  the  back, and no other jacks, then
those must be Video In and Audio  In  (assuming  the  monitor  handles
audio,  maybe  some don't!).  One  Video  In  jack  means  the monitor
accepts  NTSC  composite  video (assuming it's  not  a  European  PAL-
input  monitor  -  I've  never seen  such  a  beast).   If  there  are
actually  three  (RCA-type) jacks (or two RCAs and a mini-phone jack),
or  two  sets  of jacks (one triplet, one pair or less if audio is not
separated), then they are probably Chroma, Luma, and Audio In (and the
2nd set would be composite).  I have a Commodore 1802C  monitor, which
of course works with a C64.   It has two video  input   modes:    NTSC
("Regular    Video")    and   what   I    call    'split  chroma/luma'
("Commodore video").  I use  it with my 130XE (and, when pressed, with
my 800XL, when some programs balk at the OmniView chip in my XE).

The complications at the Atari  end  are:   The  800  and  130XE  (and
possibly  other 8-bit models except the 800XL) will output either NTSC
composite video or split chroma/luma.   (The  same  monitor  jack  has
pins  for both - just use different cables.)  But the 800XL is missing
the internal wiring for the chroma pin, so unless you modify  it,  you
can  only  use  composite  video.  That's no problem for most monitors
usable with 8-bit machines, because NTSC  composite video  is  a  (US)
standard  'Split chroma/luma' gives better resolution, though - enough
for 80 columns (for me, anyway).

To summarize:   Unless  your  friend's  monitor  ONLY  accepts  'split
chroma/luma'  video  -  no  composite video - you can use it with your
800XL.  Composite video monitor cables are (or at least  were  when  I
last bought one) an off-the-shelf item.

Nick DiMasi				Uniq Digital Technologies, Inc.
nick@udt386.chi.il.us
     [I'm not there as much]
...att!odutsa!njd [I'm on here a lot] | Delphi: TURBONICK
or njd@odutsa.att.com                 |

R/r (reply command) is supposed to be | under contract to AT&T Network Systems
OK (to cbnewsd, forwarded) now.	      | (Network Software Ctr., Lisle, IL)