[comp.sys.atari.8bit] need help w/file trans

xdn22@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Paul T.) (03/29/91)

     Using an account on a VAX, I managed to figure out how
to utilize FTP and tranfer a binary file from the archive
at umich. The problem is that I dont know how to get the
file from my account to my atari.
     I have an 800, am using sparta-dos, and have 850 Express
as a terminal program.
     Also, what exactly is UUENCODE, and how does one
unencode it?

Any help, or information at all would be greatly appreceated.

Paul T.

snyder@chopin.udel.edu (Mayleen G Snyder) (03/29/91)

uuencode is a method of changing files so they can be put in a post (i.e.
get rid of control and chars over 96....) as for getting therm from your
host....try seeing if it offers XMODEM (some do) if not get kermit....
it is on just about every UNIX or VAX system i have seen.....(it can be
gotten from most local BBS's...or a user groups library.....)

you said you use express? try using OMNICOM it is 80 cols and is great if you
don't have a XEP-80.....

Sloopy X. Malibu                                   snyder@brahms.udel.edu
(Chris  Luckey)                                    snyder@mocha.acs.udel.edu

asgardia@unixland.uucp (Craig Rothman) (03/29/91)

xdn22@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Paul T.) writes:

>      Using an account on a VAX, I managed to figure out how
> to utilize FTP and tranfer a binary file from the archive
> at umich. The problem is that I dont know how to get the
> file from my account to my atari.
>      I have an 800, am using sparta-dos, and have 850 Express
> as a terminal program.
>      Also, what exactly is UUENCODE, and how does one
> unencode it?
>
> Any help, or information at all would be greatly appreceated.
>
> Paul T.

ME too!! I did this also and I cant get it off the CYBER!
Its in my account but I have no idea what to do with it now.

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (03/30/91)

Somebody wrote: (put your name at the end of your posts and I'll put it at
the beginning of mine, fair enough?)
>xdn22@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Paul T.) writes:
>

>>      Using an account on a VAX, I managed to figure out how
>> to utilize FTP and tranfer a binary file from the archive
>> at umich. The problem is that I dont know how to get the
>> file from my account to my atari.
>>      I have an 800, am using sparta-dos, and have 850 Express
>> as a terminal program.
>>      Also, what exactly is UUENCODE, and how does one
>> unencode it?
>>
>> Any help, or information at all would be greatly appreceated.
>>
>> Paul T.
>
>ME too!! I did this also and I cant get it off the CYBER!
>Its in my account but I have no idea what to do with it now.

  Well, you have to connect your Atari to the computer that has the info
on it.  This means use a terminal program and dial up the modem that
is connected to the big computer.  If the computer doesn't have a modem
that you can use, you are SOL.
  Ok, once you've managed to get the files into your Atari, you need to
uuDEcode them.  UuENcode turns a binary file into a text file, DEcode
does the reverse.  There is a basic uuDEcoder available (sorry, I don't
have it nearby) which is listed and has no special codes in it.  This
basic listing can be ENTERed right into basic and run.  Once you have
the basic DEcode working, you can FTP for the binary decoder (which works
a lot faster) and decode it.

Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

jprice@jove.cs.pdx.edu (James Price) (03/30/91)

In article <8N6JZ1w163w@unixland.uucp> asgardia@unixland.uucp (Craig Rothman) writes:
>xdn22@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Paul T.) writes:
>

>>      Using an account on a VAX, I managed to figure out how
>> to utilize FTP and tranfer a binary file from the archive
>> at umich. The problem is that I dont know how to get the
>> file from my account to my atari.
>>      I have an 800, am using sparta-dos, and have 850 Express
>> as a terminal program.
>>      Also, what exactly is UUENCODE, and how does one
>> unencode it?
>>
>> Any help, or information at all would be greatly appreceated.
>>
>> Paul T.
>
>ME too!! I did this also and I cant get it off the CYBER!
>Its in my account but I have no idea what to do with it now.

    You need to use a downloading program to download it from your
host. Try the commands:

kermit, xmodem xm sz sb sx or such...or try to get man pages on them...

in any case your host should have a downloading program so ask your
sysprog what is availble there.

also YOU need to have a downloading prog....probably yer terminal emulater
has one....XMODEM is everywhere...zmodem or kermit are out there too
for the 8 bits...

James

Internet: jprice@jove.cs.pdx.edu    "Justice is incidental to law and order."
SCUD: 45 31 25 N 122 40 30 W                          - J. Edgar Hoover
Unity not uniformity | NBC = GE     "Reading musses up my mind." - Henry Ford

parsons@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ghost in the Machine) (03/30/91)

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:
>Somebody wrote: (put your name at the end of your posts and I'll put it at
>the beginning of mine, fair enough?)
>>xdn22@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Paul T.) writes:
>>
>>>      Using an account on a VAX, I managed to figure out how
>>> to utilize FTP and tranfer a binary file from the archive
>>> at umich. The problem is that I dont know how to get the
>>> file from my account to my atari.
>>>      Also, what exactly is UUENCODE, and how does one
>>> unencode it?
>>>
>  Ok, once you've managed to get the files into your Atari, you need to
>uuDEcode them.  UuENcode turns a binary file into a text file, DEcode
>does the reverse.  There is a basic uuDEcoder available (sorry, I don't
>have it nearby) which is listed and has no special codes in it.  This

If you ftp from umich, you can get the basic uuDEcoder from there also.
This would be an easy ascii capture or ascii download once you get it to
your school macine.

--
"Could you please continue the petty bickering.  |    Scott Parish  a.k.a.
 I find it most intriguing." -- Lt. Cdr. Data    |  parsons@matt.ksu.ksu.edu