[comp.sys.atari.8bit] displays vs. baud rate

ehs@src.dec.com (Ed Satterthwaite) (04/08/91)

In a previous posting Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:

> When a gr.0 screen is scrolled, only 1k has to be moved.  When a gr.8 screen
> is scrolled, 8k has to be moved.  This movement is the real killer.

>  The only adequate reason for 1200 only term programs is because the authors
> just couldn't figure out how to get 2400 to work.  It's possible, but
> not worth the effort (to the authors in any case).

I think the latter is the real problem.

The Atari display commands and display lists partition the screen into
horizontal bands.  This is a real pain for some applications, but it's
perfect for scrolling.  Just use one display command per line and scroll
by updating the display list -- a very fast operation compared to moving
all the bits on a gr.8 screen.  I once modified a VT52 emulator written in
ACTION! to use this technique and it easily kept up with 2400 baud.  I
believe Kermit65 uses the same technique.

A serious problem with an 80 x 24 display is that a standard Atari 8-bit
doesn't provide enough pixels to allow a decent looking rendition of the
character set, at least in my opinion.  The VT52 program used characters
that were quite legible on my monitor (a 1702) but had all the charm and
grace of an OCR font.  Perhaps that's why authors haven't worked very hard
to support such displays.

Ed Satterthwaite
ehs@src.dec.com

jeff@crash.cts.com (Jeff Makey) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.103154.27547@src.dec.com> ehs@src.dec.com (Ed Satterthwaite) writes:
>I once modified a VT52 emulator written in
>ACTION! to use this technique and it easily kept up with 2400 baud.

I did the same thing, and I have been using my modified version of
VT52B.ACT at 2400 baud for several years.  There is no flow control,
but the R: handler that comes with the P:R: Connection has a 128-byte
buffer that helps.  I have only recently discovered that the program
has trouble keeping up if lots of short lines are printed rapidly, but
I'm sure that the scrolling speed could be improved if it were really
necessary.

                            :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Posting from my temporary home at ...
    Domain: jeff@crash.cts.com    UUCP: nosc!crash!jeff