[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Help with the serial interface

d0queset@dtek.chalmers.se (Olav Queseth) (04/03/91)

I'm planning to build a "box" for my atari  that thinks it is a diskdrive, a
printer and a taperecorder and that hooks up to a PC. I have a little bit more
space on my PC than on my 1050 8-) . What I need to know is how the data are
sent on the serial port ( 13 pin connector ) and hov the computer sends comands
to the diskdrive etc. Has anybody got the information or know in which book I
can find it. And in that case where can I get the book. ( I'm living in Swden )

     Please email to d0queset@dtek.chalmers.se

                        Olav Queseth
                        Chalmers University of Technology

simonh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Simon Hunt) (04/05/91)

Atari published "Technical Reference Notes" for the 400/800 which included

   "Operating System User's Manual"
   "Operating System Source Listing" and
   "Hardware Manual"

This is probably the best place to look.
The serial number for the Tech Ref Notes is (was?) C016555.

Another good source of information is "De Re Atari" written by Chris Crawford
(author of "Eastern Front 1941"), though I don't remember the publisher.

Hope this helps...

S. Hunt.

parsons@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ghost in the Machine) (04/09/91)

simonh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Simon Hunt) writes:
>Atari published "Technical Reference Notes" for the 400/800 which included
>   "Operating System User's Manual"
>   "Operating System Source Listing" and
>   "Hardware Manual"
>This is probably the best place to look.
>The serial number for the Tech Ref Notes is (was?) C016555.

The OS User's manual is THE book to get if you can for hardware/device handler
programming.  And DE RE ATARI is THE book to get if you want to do stuff
with graphics/PM/etc.

Just my $.02.
--
  Scott Parish  a.k.a.      |    "I don't believe it."   -- Luke Skywalker
parsons@matt.ksu.ksu.edu    |    "That is why you fail." -- Yoda, Jedi Master

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) (04/09/91)

In article <40060003@hpopd.pwd.hp.com>, simonh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Simon Hunt) writes:
> Atari published "Technical Reference Notes" for the 400/800 which included
>
>    "Operating System User's Manual"
>    "Operating System Source Listing" and
>    "Hardware Manual"

I have these books, along with:
	"Inside Atari-DOS"
	"De-Re Atari"

I have been trying to get rid of them, since my Atari stopped working.  I actually
almost bought a new Atari to do some more programming on, but have since moved to,
no, I wont say it...It will just start a flame war... 8^)

--
                                __
  Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive