[comp.sys.atari.8bit] BBS Programs

root@prk.UUCP (Phillip Keen) (04/14/91)

I am in the process of getting either an Atari 8-bit, an Atari ST, or an Apple
// system to run my BBS on.  I have decided to go this route rather than
upgrading for it is much cheaper.  However, I do realize the consequences of
going with these older out dated computer systems.  Can someone tell me which
is the best BBS program for each one of these computer systems, and which setup
(hardware wise) would be best to use.  I would appreciate it very much.  I
pretty much know on most of the setups what is required, but would like to know
more and would also like some Sysops opinions on the different BBS packages if
possible.   Phillip Keen

----
uunet!nuchat!xcluud!prk!root +---------------------------------------+
prkeen@nuchat.sccsi.com      | PRK Consulting +1 713 941 5467 [data] |
prkeen@xcluud.sccsi.com      | Phillip Keen                          |
root@prk                     | 2705 Martin                           |
                             | Pasadena, TX  77502-5724              |

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (04/15/91)

	Hi Phillip,
		About running your own BBS.  It can be a real pain in the axx
(well... you know!); while occassionally it also has it's rewards.  To "do it
right", you will need a few basics; a computer just for the BBS (not one that
you "share" with the BBS part-time), a hard drive and a 2400 bps modem (any
slower a modem, and many users won't even call!).  Any of the three computers
you mentioned (an Atari 800XL/130XE, Atari ST or an Apple IIx) would work great
for running a BBS.  Which one to use really depends on if you have a spare one
of these lying around unused, or can acquire for the least amount of money, or
have a preference for a specific BBS software.  Look around, the style of BBS
YOU like and which computer you can afford to setup, will be factors.
	As for the Atari 8-Bits, there are really only two realistic choices
for BBS software; BBS Express Professional and Carina II (2.5).  Both the
SysOp's of CII and Pro love to flame each other over which one is better, but
both are excellent systems as each as both advantages and disadvantages.
	Both CII and Pro have networking, capable message editors and U/D
sections.  Also online games and databases.  No matter what anyone tells you
(gee... does this include me? :^) ), niether one is "better" than the other.
	Now of course, I have my personal preference; but then I have been
running CII for three years now (was that subtle or what?!).  For CII "looks &
feels" the way I want my BBS to "look & feel".  It is written in BASIC, so I
can modify (easily!) to my heart's content; both BASIC and SpartaDOS are
available remotely so I modify from anywhere while I am out of town.  In three
years CII has never crashed (although the MIO did go POP during a heat wave!),
CII can be safely called "bullet-proof".
	Pro has many of these features too, although I am not as knowledgable
about Pro as I am about CII.  Hopefully someone here on the net is a Pro SysOp
and can give you (and all of us) more insight into the workings of BBS Express
Professional.  I hope this helps, bye.............

				Luis

Luis Mark Outumuro III                |  "Well... you're damned if you do,
Computer Office Products 818/813-1051 |   and you're damned if you don't!"
Infoline                 818/813-1053 |         - Bart Simpson, 1990...

In article <Nk6c11w164w@prk.UUCP> root@prk.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:
>I am in the process of getting either an Atari 8-bit, an Atari ST, or an Apple
>// system to run my BBS on.  I have decided to go this route rather than
>upgrading for it is much cheaper.  However, I do realize the consequences of

Without question the best BBS I have ever seen - on any system, is
Morgan Davis' ProLine system for the Apple II.  I run it on a IIe
suped up with an 8mhz zip chip.  It runs for weeks sometime without
my paying any attention to it.  It supports Usenet newsfeeds and
outside email connections, the software upgrades arrive electronicly
via remote copies, the code is almost all in AppleSoft basic, which
makes bug fixes and additiions relatively straightforward.  And to
top it off the environment includes a large portion of Unix-style
commands and a cshell subset.  You can get more info from
mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (...crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis).
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

In article <1991Apr15.024149.24710@alphalpha.com> nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>Without question the best BBS I have ever seen - on any system, is
>Morgan Davis' ProLine system for the Apple II.  I run it on a IIe

	I've never seen ProLine, so I can't comment on it, but I really
think GBBS is a really good BBS system from using it. (And I've read a lot
of the info on it because I was going to write a full-screen editor for one
but unfortunately there are no arrays in the language it uses)

	I've pretty much gotten out of the microcomputer BBSes though, except
for getting new programs..

	UNIX, cshell, the Internet and UseNet just seem to be a new dimension
in modemming... non-networked (or minimally networked) BBSes just seem
so "small."

	Yeah, I realize ProLine can get a UseNet feed.

	A pretty neat BBS for MSDOS systems (and it runs under UNIX too)
is waffle. If anyone's interested in an Apple II version of it, send mail
to root@darkside.com

	I've wanted to port that program for a long time or have them port
it as it's pretty good (they won't let me port it, but maybe sufficient
outside interest will help it happen).
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (04/17/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	A pretty neat BBS for MSDOS systems (and it runs under UNIX too)
>is waffle. If anyone's interested in an Apple II version of it, send mail
>to root@darkside.com
>
>	I've wanted to port that program for a long time or have them port
>it as it's pretty good (they won't let me port it, but maybe sufficient
>outside interest will help it happen).

 Waffle started out as an Apple ][ BBS, if you want to know the truth.
Tom still has a copy of the old Apple version, but it is not where he
can get to it quickly or easily (200 mile drive one way...). The best
address to get him at for Waffle related material is dell@vox.darkside.com
as he gets to that more often than the other (or at least answers stuff
faster from that address). He really has no interest in getting the
Apple version current. There is no decent C copiler for the Apple ][ line,
so it would have to be a separate product. It is mostly in assembly,
with a little BASIC thrown in and not something most people could deal
with making changes in.

 BTW, Matt. Tom does remember you...
--
\  Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant  /
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation

root@prk.UUCP (Phillip Keen) (04/17/91)

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) writes:

> 	Hi Phillip,
> <quoted text deleted>

Yes, I know it does.  See, that's the problem now with the IBM is that I am
needing to use the computer more and more while the BBS is up.  So, that's
why I am looking into getting a dedicated machine, and I named my options,
because my options are the cheapest around town here.  I am most likely going
to go with the Atari 8-bit because I like how well BBS Express Pro supports
ANSI graphics.  See, all three types of systems (Atari 8-bit, Atari ST and
Apple ][x cost right around the same amount here in town with Apple ][x being
the most expensive, the Atari ST being the next higher priced, and the
Atari 8-bit being the lowest).  However, I suffer the consequences with the
Atari 8-bit systems, and that is I would have to be buying ALL used equipment.
If I were at least able to purchase Apple ][x or Atari ST systems, I would
be able to purchase it all new.  So, I don't know which route I should go.
See, I am happy with most everything I see in operation, so it makes decisions
hard on me.  This is why I brought the conversation to such a huge network
community, to kind of help me decide which route to go.

Yes, thanks for the information about Carina II, although down here in
Houston, BBS Express Pro is the preferred BBS package amongst Atari 8-bit
computer systems.  I might just give a Carina II system a call sometime.
The Carina II system in town, NiteLight has been having some problems, so
I might have to call out of town or something.  There is one Atari BBS
program I wasn't too happy with, but don't remember what it was because it's
been ages ago since I've seen it.  It might of been Carina for all I know.
I'll have to check them out again...   Phillip

----
uunet!nuchat!xcluud!prk!root +---------------------------------------+
prkeen@nuchat.sccsi.com      | PRK Consulting +1 713 941 5467 [data] |
prkeen@xcluud.sccsi.com      | Phillip Keen                          |
root@prk                     | 2705 Martin                           |
                             | Pasadena, TX  77502-5724              |

root@prk.UUCP (Phillip Keen) (04/17/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

> In article <1991Apr15.024149.24710@alphalpha.com> nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee H
> >Without question the best BBS I have ever seen - on any system, is
> >Morgan Davis' ProLine system for the Apple II.  I run it on a IIe
>
> 	I've never seen ProLine, so I can't comment on it, but I really
> think GBBS is a really good BBS system from using it. (And I've read a lot
> of the info on it because I was going to write a full-screen editor for one
> but unfortunately there are no arrays in the language it uses)
>
> 	I've pretty much gotten out of the microcomputer BBSes though, except
> for getting new programs..
>
> 	UNIX, cshell, the Internet and UseNet just seem to be a new dimension
> in modemming... non-networked (or minimally networked) BBSes just seem
> so "small."

Well, true many people thing UNIX, cshell, and the internet and USENET
just seem to be a new dimension in modeming.  I see that, but I just simply
do not have the money to upgrade.  That is my plans eventually is to
start my own public access UNIX system and focus on education with it, but
until that time, I am looking at cheaper alternatives.

> 	Yeah, I realize ProLine can get a UseNet feed.
>
> 	A pretty neat BBS for MSDOS systems (and it runs under UNIX too)
> is waffle. If anyone's interested in an Apple II version of it, send mail
> to root@darkside.com

Yeh, Waffle is a pretty good ol' program.  It's not as fancy as it could
and should be for DOS.  It would be great if the DOS version would support
color ANSI graphics.  If it did, I would stay with it.  That's why I am
wanting to switch programs, is my users are complaining about the all text
based WAFFLE.   Phillip

----
uunet!nuchat!xcluud!prk!root +---------------------------------------+
prkeen@nuchat.sccsi.com      | PRK Consulting +1 713 941 5467 [data] |
prkeen@xcluud.sccsi.com      | Phillip Keen                          |
root@prk                     | 2705 Martin                           |
                             | Pasadena, TX  77502-5724              |

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (04/18/91)

Phillip Keen writes:
<some stuff deleted>
>Yes, I know it does.  See, that's the problem now with the IBM is that I am
>needing to use the computer more and more while the BBS is up.  So, that's
>why I am looking into getting a dedicated machine, and I named my options,
>because my options are the cheapest around town here.  I am most likely going
>to go with the Atari 8-bit because I like how well BBS Express Pro supports
>AN

  You know...it has just occurred to me that the 8-bit would be the absolute
cheapest way to go...  There is a new program/cable combo out that allows the
Atari to use the IBM as a fileserver.  Presumably this doesn't force the
IBM into a dedicated mode.  If you bought an 8-bit, a 1050 (or better),
the BBS program of your choice, and the SIO2PC program/cable, you'd probably
pay about half of what it would cost you for a different system.

  If you're interested, I'll try to dig up the reference to the SIO2PC stuff.

Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

parsons@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Scott Parish) (04/18/91)

Did anyone bother to put this at atari.archive.umich.edu?

--
  Scott Parish  a.k.a.      |    "I don't believe it."   -- Luke Skywalker
parsons@matt.ksu.ksu.edu    |    "That is why you fail." -- Yoda, Jedi Master

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (04/18/91)

	Hi Phillip,
		I have seen Nitelite's name on the ICN (Carina's own network).
If it is possible, it would be great if both some local CII and Pro SysOp's
could give you a hands on tour; who knows, ask around.
	CII does support ANSI now, also SpartaDOS X.  Really whatever one (Pro
or CII) comes out with first, the other adds it shortly after.  CII networking
will have F-Net compatibility soon (it is in beta-testing).  I have also heard
that CII/Pro network compatibility is being talked about.
	CII 2.5 will be released probably this week or next week.  I am not
sure what the latest version of Pro is, but I'm one of the local Pro SysOp's
can tell you.
	Also MIO's can still be bought brand new from ICD, they have lowered
all the prices on thier Atari 8-Bit products.  Take care, bye........

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (04/19/91)

From root@prk.UUCP (Phillip Keen):

> See, all three types of systems (Atari 8-bit, Atari ST and Apple ][x cost
> right around the same amount here in town with Apple ][x being the most
> expensive, the Atari ST being the next higher priced, and the Atari 8-bit
> being the lowest).

    I know that Atari ST's can be had for very little, but a used Apple //e,
mono monitor and 20-meg HD can probably be bought for under $500, if that.
ProLine and GBBS are both excellent BBS programs for the //e.  In any case,
good luck with your BBS.

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (04/20/91)

root@prk.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:

>I am looking into getting a dedicated machine, and I named my options,
>because my options are the cheapest around town here.  I am most likely going
>to go with the Atari 8-bit because I like how well BBS Express Pro supports
>ANSI graphics.  See, all three types of systems (Atari 8-bit, Atari ST and
>Apple ][x cost right around the same amount here in town with Apple ][x being
>the most expensive, the Atari ST being the next higher priced, and the
>Atari 8-bit being the lowest).  However, I suffer the consequences with the
>Atari 8-bit systems, and that is I would have to be buying ALL used equipment.
>If I were at least able to purchase Apple ][x or Atari ST systems, I would
>be able to purchase it all new.  So, I don't know which route I should go.
>See, I am happy with most everything I see in operation, so it makes decisions
>hard on me.  This is why I brought the conversation to such a huge network
>community, to kind of help me decide which route to go.

There are several choices though for the Apple // series.  Proline gets
lots of raves it seems.  GBBS "Pro" is nice, and you're not restricted to
using AppleSoft BASIC.  (It's nice to get away from line numbers once in
awhile.)  Its language (ACOS) is similar to BASIC, but is more structured.

METAL though is a rather new Apple BBS language, has lots of the features
of the ACOS language, but adds a lot more.  I'm still catching up with the
documentation that came with the disks, and that by no means is the entire
manual.  The packaged program Future Visions is nice, comes ready for
networking, and is easily editable by any text editor from Freewriter to
ProTERM to AppleWorks, and even editable ONLINE (as is ACOS).  Its only
problem right now is that it is so new that it lacks some drivers, namely
printer drivers and support for some modems, like my DataLink 2400
internal.  It has a lot going for it though, including some of the
features others have mentioned that Proline has.  (Sorry guys, didn't know
it would run on a non-GS.)  I believe you can also use ANSI with it, and
several other emulations.

--
///   ____   \\\ "It says, `Golgafrincham Ark Fleet, Ship B, Hold 7, Telephone
| |/ /    \ \| |  Sanitizer, Second Class,' and a serial number." "A telephone
 \\_(\____/)_//                sanitizer?  A dead telephone sanitizer?"  "Best
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu       kind." "But what's he doing here?" "Not a lot."

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/20/91)

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:

> There are several choices though for the Apple // series.  Proline gets
> lots of raves it seems.  GBBS "Pro" is nice, and you're not restricted to
> using AppleSoft BASIC.  (It's nice to get away from line numbers once in
> awhile.)  Its language (ACOS) is similar to BASIC, but is more structured.

You don't have to use the line numbers in BASIC when you edit your
Proline source.  You can pickup MD-BASIC which gives you alot of the
power and comfort of a C compiler but it is actually a BASIC to
Applesoft translater.  MD-Basic allows you to write your programs in
a text editor and then compile them into plain-jane Applesoft.  You
can setup defines and includes in your source as well as call in libs
and such.  It's the ONLY way to program for Applesoft.  Also, you can
use a program like Program Writer which is basically a word-processor
for BASIC programs.  Either way, it's simple, easy and powerful.

MD-Basic also comes with a decompiler so you can take plain BASIC
programs and decompile them into MD-Basic source with labels and
word-variables etc, etc.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878