[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 1030 modem help!

moe@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Shippert) (04/20/91)

I just got an old Atari 1030 modem with MODEMLINK program and I was
wondering how to download with the thing. The Owner's Guide told me
nothing and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do such a
thing. Help!

moe@milton.acs.washington.edu
"If you see me rockin',
    don't bother knockin'!"

mwoodwar@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (woodward matthew d - CS350) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr20.025220.5592@milton.u.washington.edu> moe@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Shippert) writes:

>I just got an old Atari 1030 modem with MODEMLINK program and I was
>wondering how to download with the thing. The Owner's Guide told me
>nothing and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do such a
>thing. Help!
Modemlink won't download.  You need 1030 Express, or some other 1030 term
prg. that downloads.  Of course, (***big bummer***) you can't download it.
Try an atari user's group.  I don't know if BRACE is still around, but they
might be able to steer you in the right direction.  Also, Butler's electronics
might be able to help you.  They're in Fed. Way.  ph 941-9096 (I think).

>--
>moe@milton.acs.washington.edu
>"If you see me rockin',
>    don't bother knockin'!"

gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu (root@research.bdi.com (Systems Research Supervisor)) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr20.025220.5592@milton.u.washington.edu> moe@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Shippert) writes:
=>
=>I just got an old Atari 1030 modem with MODEMLINK program and I was
=>wondering how to download with the thing. The Owner's Guide told me
=>nothing and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do such a
=>thing. Help!
=>
   Actually, there is no way to do such a thing with ModemLink. To
download stuff you will need another terminal program such as BobTerm.
I believe it is available for anonymous FTP on atari.archive.umich.edu,
but it may be a trick getting it onto your Atari. Your best bet would
be to find someone in your area (or perhaps a users group) that will
give you a copy on disk.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                            gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu
   _o_                      ----------------------                        _o_

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (04/21/91)

moe@milton.acs.washington.edu writes:
>I just got an old Atari 1030 modem with MODEMLINK program and I was
>wondering how to download with the thing. The Owner's Guide told me
>nothing and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do such a
>thing. Help!

  You can't.  Really stupid eh?  You need to get a terminal program from
some other source.

Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

hooverb@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Bruce Hoover) (04/23/91)

From article <1991Apr20.025220.5592@milton.u.washington.edu>, by moe@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Shippert):

> I just got an old Atari 1030 modem with MODEMLINK program and I was
> wondering how to download with the thing. The Owner's Guide told me
> nothing and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do such a
> thing. Help!

The best way is to use another program. Seriously!

I have one (that I haven't used in several years, but after about two
tries at using the modemlink software, I bought a shareware program from
APE (Atari Program Exchange, now defunct). If you can't get one, of some
kind, e-mail me and I can send you a disk. (Still, at 300 baud it is
Sloooooow.)

Bruce Hoover