[comp.sys.atari.8bit] What is an Atari 400 ???

tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (04/20/91)

I recently fell into possession of an Atari 400.  I know nothing about this
machine.  Could someone give me the basic details of the machine (processor and
such).

Thanks,

Paul Tletski, Highland Hts., Ohio

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Techno) (04/22/91)

tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

>I recently fell into possession of an Atari 400.  I know nothing about this
>machine.  Could someone give me the basic details of the machine (processor and
>such).

16KB, 6502 main processor, ANTIC graphics display processor. Max. resolution
320x192 with 2 from 128 colors. Several other but lower resolutions available.
Works with TV set only.

Computer is 1979 vintage, but still one of the best micros. The 1.77 MHz
clock rate is shared 2:1 by the processors. I hope you got the BASIC
cart as well or the machine will be useless.

As this was my first computer, I'll gladly supply more and even detailed
tech info if you mail me.

                       Hope this helps,

                                Techno

--
| techno@zelator.in-berlin.de ||| Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.in-berlin.de   / | \ Hardcore ST user !  ====================== |

mfolivo@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Mark Newton John) (04/23/91)

In article <4326.280edc5a@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
> I recently fell into possession of an Atari 400.  I know nothing about this
> machine.  Could someone give me the basic details of the machine (processor and
> such).

The Atari 400 was a less expensive ($500?) version of the Atari
800.

The 400 has 16k of memory. Uses the same 1.7 MHz 6502 CPU.

There have been memory expansion kits for the 400. There are
reported sightings of even a 1Mb 400 out there. But the 48k is the
most common. There are also keyboard kits to replace the membrane
keyboard.

All Atari 8 bit hardware works.

WIth the exception of memory, the 400 and 800 a functionally the
same computer.

--
the good guys!               Sakura-mendo, CA

      Internet:  mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US