[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Transfer

jason@fquest.fidonet.org (Jason flenniken) (05/02/91)

How exactly do you recieve files from the atari archive?  The umich.edu
thing.  I have tried to read how to do it with little luck, does anyone
know how?

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (05/04/91)

> How exactly do you recieve files from the atari archive?  The umich.edu
> thing.  I have tried to read how to do it with little luck, does anyone
> know how?

I remember reading several months ago, on this very newsgroup, that the Atari
archive at umich.edu had been "abused by someone in Germany" resulting in the
server's being TAKEN AWAY FOREVER.  However, SINCE that time, I have seen a
flock of messages, also on this very newsgroup, REFERRING people to that self-
same archive as a source of Atari 8-bit software and going unchallenged on
that point.

MY question, then, is this: is the archive STILL UP, after all?  Did the
Powers That Be at umich.edu change their minds?  I'd like to hear from some-
one who knows!

    Chris Chiesa
      Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

nin15b0b@merrimack.edu (05/05/91)

In article <41996@cup.portal.com>, Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com writes:
>> How exactly do you recieve files from the atari archive?  The umich.edu
>> thing.  I have tried to read how to do it with little luck, does anyone
>> know how?
>
> I remember reading several months ago, on this very newsgroup, that the Atari
> archive at umich.edu had been "abused by someone in Germany" resulting in the
> server's being TAKEN AWAY FOREVER.  However, SINCE that time, I have seen a
> flock of messages, also on this very newsgroup, REFERRING people to that self-
> same archive as a source of Atari 8-bit software and going unchallenged on
> that point.
>
> MY question, then, is this: is the archive STILL UP, after all?  Did the
> Powers That Be at umich.edu change their minds?  I'd like to hear from some-
> one who knows!
>
>     Chris Chiesa
>       Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

  The atari archive is still up.  It was shut down for a short period of time
and security was enhanced to prevent future abuse.

 It was stated that it was uncertain if the abuse was intentional or
accidental.

--
David E. Sheafer

internet:  nin15b0b@merrimack.edu   or  uucp:      samsung!hubdub!nin15b0b

GEnie:     D.SHEAFER             Cleveland Freenet:    ap345
Bitnet:    Sheafer_davi@bentley

mwoodwar@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (woodward matthew d - CS350) (05/07/91)

In article <41996@cup.portal.com> Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com writes:
>> How exactly do you recieve files from the atari archive?  The umich.edu
>> thing.  I have tried to read how to do it with little luck, does anyone
>> know how?
>
>I remember reading several months ago, on this very newsgroup, that the Atari
>archive at umich.edu had been "abused by someone in Germany" resulting in the
>server's being TAKEN AWAY FOREVER.  However, SINCE that time, I have seen a
>flock of messages, also on this very newsgroup, REFERRING people to that self-
>same archive as a source of Atari 8-bit software and going unchallenged on
>that point.
>
>MY question, then, is this: is the archive STILL UP, after all?  Did the
>Powers That Be at umich.edu change their minds?  I'd like to hear from some-
>one who knows!
>
>    Chris Chiesa
>      Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

Yes, the archive is still around...
(unix way to use it follows)
% ftp atari.archive.umich.edu
ftp> (user) anonymous
ftp> (password) anonymous
ftp> cd atari/8bit
ftp> binary
ftp> ls
ftp> get file.whatever
ftp> quit

then the file's right in yer directory.  Now, go home, dial up the unix system,
and xmodem or kermit the file to your Atari.

Matt

P.S. I think mail access was restored as well.