[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Creative Computing lightpen

norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Norman Lin) (06/03/91)

mmiller@isis.cs.du.edu (Mark Miller) writes:

>> Some interesting trivia, but I have one correction: Atari finally DID
>>release a lightpen (I used to have one). I think they did so in '84. It
>>came with its own special cartridge drawing program, which was really
>>quite nice (IMHO). I was impressed at the time that they hadn't merely
>>repackaged Koala Paint, as they had done for the Atari Touch Tablet.
>>Speaking of light pens, you can make your own: There was an article on
>>the subject in a very early issue of Creative Computing (now defunct).
>>It may have been 1981. Then there was the Atari Paint program, which used
>>a joystick for input.

>I believe I know which article you're talking about.  I have that Creative
>Computing issue.  It is March 1983, in the "Outpost: Atari" article.  It
>mainly talks about how to make a home-made Atari light pen, and gives a
>couple sample BASIC programs you can use with it.

>What is surprising is this is an issue of Creative Computing that I just
>happened to look at and pick up one day.  You are the second person I have
>heard refer to this article (I think you were referring to this one) after
>all these years.

I built this lightpen.  You mention that you "just happened to look at and
pick up" this issue of Creative Computing; similarly, I was browsing through
back issues at the library.  What was a bit annoying was that the pinouts
given for the lightpen were REVERSED; this was not mentioned until a few months
later in another issue.  But since I was looking through back issues at the
library anyway, it wasn't until about 2 years later that I happened to
stumble upon that correction article, during which time the lightpen had been
scrapped, rebuilt a few months later exactly as per (incorrect) instructions,
failed again, scrapped, rebuilt, failed...

When I finally found the correction article and got the lightpen working,
though, it was less than impressive.  The vertical resolution was perhaps
fine enough for vertical discrimination among the 24 different graphics 0
lines; horizontal resolution was nowhere near being able to pinpoint which of
the 40 columns you had the pen pointed at.  And for drawing, the pen was pretty
much useless.  They included a sample drawing program in graphics 7.  Vertical
resolution was almost acceptable, but the horizontal resolution was so poor
that you would get a point +/- about 40 pixels from where you were, which in
graphics 7 is abysmal.  The article did mention that horizontal resolution was
poor, but I didn't expect it to be that poor.  Did anyone else have better
results with this lightpen?

Ah, the days when you could build your own computer peripherals and easily
interface them... what memories...

>Mark Miller
>mmiller@isis.cs.du.edu

---|\-#-/_|-------/|-------,*.----||---Norman Lin, University of Oklahoma----
---|/-----|------/-|---,"--|---,"-||------norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu-------
--/|------------/-*'---|/------|--||-----(IP addr: 129.15.[20|22|24].2)------
-|/|\---/_|-----|-----------------||-"I gazed in your eyes, and saw the moon-
--\|/-----|----*'-----------------||------------and the skies"---------------

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (06/05/91)

For what it's worth, I picked up some third-party commercial light-pen at
a local user-group flea market a couple of months ago, got it to work, and
had the SAME experience of totally useless horizontal resolution: "picking
a pixel +/- 40 pixels away from where you were pointing" sounds about right...

Must be the Atari hardware. :-(

lanmaint@nssdcb.gsfc.nasa.gov (Dave Yoest) (06/05/91)

In article <42968@cup.portal.com>, Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com writes...
>For what it's worth, I picked up some third-party commercial light-pen at
>a local user-group flea market a couple of months ago, got it to work, and
>had the SAME experience of totally useless horizontal resolution: "picking
>a pixel +/- 40 pixels away from where you were pointing" sounds about right...
>
>Must be the Atari hardware. :-(

I don't think it's the atari hardware because I got the atari "light
gun" from a friend and wrote a little c program to "shoot" at the
screen machine gun style. The gun IS a light pen and seems pretty
accurate (+-2 or 3 pixels) even from a distance of 15 feet away!

There a small algorithm necessary to map the light pen coordinates
to screen coordinates, it can be found in the technical reference
manual. If anyone needs it I would be happy to look it up and
post it. Also I would also be willing to post the C source for
MACHINE GUN (DEEP BLUE C). It's not very good from a game standpoint,
or from a C progamming standpoint (kludgey code), but it does work
and could be used to test the accuracy of your light pen hardware.

I also (once upon a time) had a KOALA lightpen with KOALA paint
for pen. When you started KOALA for pen, it would have you
"calibrate" the pen by pointing at a horizontal and then a vertical
line. It also was quite accurate once calibration was completed.

Dave Yoest
LAN M&O Section Supervisor
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, Md. USA