[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Best characters to use in Ultima 3?

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (05/28/91)

First off, this is cross-posted to the following groups:
comp.sys.amiga.games & rec.games.misc (a few days ago)
comp.sys.apple2, comp.sys.atari.8bit, comp.sys.cbm (today, monday night)
(The second line of newsgroups was added after I, in my idiocy, neglected
to consider that some readers of c.s.apple2, atari.8bit, and cbm might not
know computer games are talked about in rec.games.misc)
NO COMPUTER WARS, OKAY?

So: start posting! Ultimas I-V appeared on the C-64 and apple2, and Ultimas
I-IV appeared on the atari series, so there should be more responses this
time around!!!

Now then, I'd like to know what parties net-land considers to be the best to
win with, and if using one party the entire game is good, compared to using
a party with expendable members like mages and clerics (to go up and down
dungeon levels at 1st level) and replacing them later.

I'll post what party I and my friend are using after I see everyone's 'favorite'
or 'fun' party.

Also: evaluate each class, if only to show why you wouldn't use that class,
as well as the ones you do use.

Wayne

andrewh@msb.com (Andrew Huie) (05/29/91)

In Ultima 3, I find at least one elven thief to be indispensable in the party
until the final battle.  Since I typically give them a higher Dex., they have
a higher probability of hitting things.  A dwarven/hobbit Paladin (just as
long as their wisdom and strength have a max of 75 and/or 99) or a human
Ranger, a fuzzy/elven Magic User, and a hobbit Cleric is a typical dungeon
party.  At the very beginning, I might have a hobbit Druid instead of cleric
until I can get the money to boost their stats.  At the final battle, my
"perfect" party consists of an elven wizard, a fuzzy wizard, a hobbit druid,
and a hobbit cleric.  Those who made it to the end know what I mean!

lazer@lablues.UUCP (Patrick Delahanty) (05/31/91)

I find that with Ultimas II through V, Copy II Plus makes the best companion
on the quests!  (It won't work on Ultima I)  Just do a little sector editing
when you get in a jam.

Cheat?  Me?  No!  I went through all once without cheating...I just raised
my stats the second time to get to the good stuff faster.

A few tips...
^L
Ultima I:  Go in the dungeon's a lot...
Ultima II: Don't bother going in dungoen's...you don't have to...I didn't.
Ultima III:  Use the same guys and have them ALL get marked with burns.
Ultima IV:  NightShade (I think) is available on the island near in the lake
            up in the northeast corner.  Midnight only.
Ultima V:  Geesh...I can't think of anything really...
Ultima VI:  Write to Origin!  They make it for the Commodore 64 even!  Don't
            you think Apple comes BEFORE Commodore?!  I do!  WRITE!
Ultima VII:  I wish I could do like the box says and star in this Ultima but
             I don't want to buy an IBM or Commie Ultima VI to find out how!

-Lazer

mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M. Friedrich) (06/03/91)

andrewh@msb.com (Andrew Huie) writes:

>In Ultima 3, I find at least one elven thief to be indispensable in the party
>until the final battle.  Since I typically give them a higher Dex., they have
>a higher probability of hitting things.  A dwarven/hobbit Paladin (just as
>long as their wisdom and strength have a max of 75 and/or 99) or a human
>Ranger, a fuzzy/elven Magic User, and a hobbit Cleric is a typical dungeon
>party.  At the very beginning, I might have a hobbit Druid instead of cleric
>until I can get the money to boost their stats.  At the final battle, my
>"perfect" party consists of an elven wizard, a fuzzy wizard, a hobbit druid,
>and a hobbit cleric.  Those who made it to the end know what I mean!
I made it to the end, I don't know why you need different parties. Or
why do you need so much magic users. Have you ever considered taking a
horse with you into Exodus' castle? You only have to fight dragons two times
then, instead of four times.

It seems you all have many problems playing Ultima III, but it is such an easy
and uncomplicated game...
Later, every party member is as powerful as the other. Every character has
his maximum stats...

Why do you all have problems? I don't know...

Greetings,  :-)
	Efchen
---
   /~\   |  Martin Friedrich       IRC/FN/BITNET: Efchen
  C oo   |  Postfach 1602     NightFall: Sir Efchen, Knight of Elvendar
  _( ^)  |  8520 Erlangen
   ~\    |  GERMANY        InterNet:mnfriedr@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
 Tie two birds together. Though they have four wings, they cannot fly.
                                                    - The silent Flute

daguru@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Da Guru) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun2.185744.3309@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M. Friedrich) writes:

>Why do you all have problems? I don't know...

Me neither.  I figured out the loophole and started all my
characters with full armament.

Even brand new, fuzzy mages can survive with the best armor money
can buy....

-Nick

<Generic Disclaimer:  It was my Evil Twin.... >

andrewh@msb.com (Andrew Huie) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun2.185744.3309@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M. Friedrich) writes:
>I made it to the end, I don't know why you need different parties. Or
>why do you need so much magic users. Have you ever considered taking a
>horse with you into Exodus' castle? You only have to fight dragons two times
>then, instead of four times.

At the beginning, just staying alive is most important; otherwise you go
through a lot more characters.  And yes, I have brought horses into the castle,
which allowed me to evade the initial guards, but without diagonal movement,
you will find it very difficult to evade the dragons, if at all (the clerics
came in handy then).  It's not necessary to enter the castle with a magician-
heavy party (I've done it with different parties) but it helps.

>It seems you all have many problems playing Ultima III, but it is such an easy
>and uncomplicated game...
>Later, every party member is as powerful as the other. Every character has
>his maximum stats...
Not quite.  In Exodus' castle those characters that depend on weapons
proficiency will be much less valuable than those that depend on spell-casting.