[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Help!

8440827@wwu.EDU.UUCP (06/02/87)

Anybody know if there is a terminal program for the  8  biters that will
download files directly to disk?  I have only 32K of memory  and when my
terminal program is running then I only have 15K to do download to.  Any
suggestions(other than getting a computer with more memory)?

Also, does anyone know of any good 8 bit Atari oriented boards in the
Washington state area?

Thanks for any and all help,

-Dave Kinsman

appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L. Appelbaum) (06/05/87)

Most terminal programs buffer the incomming data into the available
RAM, and write it to disk when the buffer is full.  If the program
wrote directly to disk your file transfer would take 3-5 times longer.
--
 -Marc L. Appelbaum
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu

MIKEC@csp-a.prime.COM (07/19/88)

Does anybody know where I can pick up a copy of The Pawn?  I've tried all the
usual mail order places and they are all sold out with no prospect for any new
arrivals.  While I'm at it, does anybody know why this is happening?  Many
thanks in advance.

Mike Curtis
mikec@csp-a.prime.com

Needless to say all opinions are mine.

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (11/29/88)

--------------------

Well it's been well over a year since I tried to do *any* programming
on my 800xl, and now that I decided to try something, I find I need
some major help from all you bright people out in netland. In its
simplest terms my problem is this - how can I *read* data coming
over the modem. Sounds like a dumb question? Okay, here's my
dilemma. I need to have the modem answer the phone, connect to the
machine that's calling me, and then wait for that other machine to
send a specific string of text. When it does, I want my machine to
send a reply. At this point, I have 2 out of 3 parts to the problem
solved. I borrowed a subroutine from a BASIC term program that answers
the phone and connects just fine. After playing around with XIO calls
and consulting "Your Atari Computer", I found the way to send data
just fine (or so my friend at the other end says :-), namely:

OPEN #3,13,0,"R:"
XIO 40,#3,0,0,"R:"
PRINT #3; "Here's my Data!"

Okay all you Atari guru's...how do I READ data now. "INPUT #3,A$"
doesn't do anything (I can see by the modem lights that data is
being sent, but the string always ends up empty). "GET #3, A" results
in either nothing, or the letter "Q" (ascii #81) no matter what data
was being sent.

I realize that I must be overlooking something with the XIO stuff,
but that cryptic XIO command has me so confused! I also realize that
the slowness of Basic is probably a factor, but I only need this to
work at 300 baud, and if need be I would hope that compiled Turbo
Basic would be enough to cover it since the *only* thing the machine
needs to do is sit and read characters being *typed* over the line.
Any help is both desperately needed and *greatly* appreciated.
Thanks a lot all.

			-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

----------

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (04/18/89)

Well, I tried a few new&different things over the weekend, and ran into
a few good problems.

1. I am trying to use SIO directly.  I am doing this so I can do physical
   sector accessing of the disk.  (I really want to do this, so don't try
   to talk me out of it.)  I was successful in reading 1050 and 810 density
   disks, on both the 1050 and XF551.  I haven't tried writing yet.

   My problem is: I get error# 138,139,144 which are device errors, NAK's
   and timeouts accessing DSDD disks on the XF551.  I assumed that you
   just set the byte count from 128 to 256.  Some of the data I read
   might have been right, but with all the trash it was hard to tell.  I
   tried setting the byte count back to 128, but the symptoms were the
   same.  I turned the drive off and back on again, and got the same.
   Apparently, there is something different you must do when accessing DD
   disks.

2. I couldn't get AMAC (the Atari assembler) to work under DOSXE.  It may be
   because you need the DOS 2 handler in memory to read the assembler in, but
   it takes up too much space.  Is there any way to get around this, or
   possibly get a DOSXE version of the assembler?  I believe AMAC is copy-
   protected.  Once I tried copying it to another disk (so I could rename it
   to AUTORUN.SYS, not to pirate it!) and the copied version did not work.
   I had made my assembly source under DOSXE, and could not assemble it.
   So, I was about to copy it to a DOS 2 disk when I remembered that DOS 2
   support under DOSXE is read-only!  Now what?!  Then I remembered... C:!
   I got my shovel and dug out the ol' program recorder, copied to C:, and
   it worked!  Of course, now under DOS 2 I do C C:,D1:FOO.ASM and get the
   response ILLEGAL OPERATION or something.  Oh well... 10 DIM A$(128),
   20 OPEN #2,4,0,"C:", 30 OPEN #3,8,0,"D:FOO.ASM", etc.  At last this worked!

Well that's it.  I am SECTORing for two reasons:  one to be able to transfer
files between Atari and PC's, and the other for a program I am writing.
If you know the answer (or even just guesses-I'll try anything!) to #1,
PLEASE answer.  #2 I can get around, although I would like to do all my
development under DOSXE.
Thanks!  -Stan

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (04/29/89)

<
<   My problem is: I get error# 138,139,144 which are device errors, NAK's
<   and timeouts accessing DSDD disks on the XF551.  I assumed that you
<   just set the byte count from 128 to 256.  Some of the data I read
<   might have been right, but with all the trash it was hard to tell.  I
<   tried setting the byte count back to 128, but the symptoms were the
<   same.  I turned the drive off and back on again, and got the same.
<   Apparently, there is something different you must do when accessing DD
<   disks.
<
From all i've heard about it I assume that the XF551 switches to the
appropriate density when you insert single, double, or enhanced density
disks.  It does not, however, switch to double sided mode on its own,
you need to send it a configuration command to do so.
Are you familiar with the commands to change drive configuration?  If not
I could send you some info.

mark@umbra.gatech.edu (Mark J. Reed) (06/13/91)

I'm posting this for a friend of mine.  Please don't e-mail replies to me; use
his address: ce133ei@prism.gatech.edu.  It's repeated below.

Somebody out there, please hear this and help me out.

I have an Atari 800XL with 256K, Spartados X, an XEP80, P:R: Connection, SX212
1050 drive w/US Doubler, AND NO SOFTWARE THAT WILL LET ME USE ALL OF THEM AT
THE SAME TIME!

All I want is a terminal program that runs under Spartados X, lets me use the
XEP80, and has an RS232 driver for the P:R:C (that is ALSO compatible with
SPartados X AND the XEP80).

So far, every one of the terminal programs I have stubbornly refuse to work
with at least one of the above-mentioned devices.

850 Express 3.0 doesn't seem to like the XEP80, regardless of what i've been
told.
Bobterm totally ignores the XEP80 also.
I've also tried amodem 7.4/7.5, omnicom(total lockup no matter what), vterm
(this program seems to do EVERYTHING except talk to the modem.  It hates
80 cols too.)  Backtalk (dumped back to the command prompt)

So far, the most success i've had is by usin the sx212 in direct-connect mode,
and using Sparts 3.2 with Mark Gamber's term80 (uses a graphics 8 version of
an 80-col screen) so I can see 80 cols (just barely) but am missing quite a
lot of nice functions i'd prefer to have.

If there's ANYONE out there who can tell me how to get hold of a teminal
package that can use all of my equipment, PLEASE email me at
ce133ei@prism.gatech.edu.
I would be deeply in your debt.  Oh, o ne thing:  PLEASE don't assume that I
necessarily have the appropriate handlers.  Usually it seems that I don't.
Please assume that I have NO software.  I'd rather have two of something
than none of it.

Sorry about the overall tone of this message, but I'm really worn out with
all of this.

P.S. Macros, VT100 support, etc., would be GREAT, but aren't necessary.
I'll beg for that later.

--
Krenath zantai CharghwI' (Eric Koske)               ce133ei@prism.gatech.edu

bmarcum@world.std.com (Bill Marcum) (06/14/91)

Bobterm will work with the XEP80, but you need the file called XEP80.BTM.
It should be on your original disk, or in BOBTERM.ARC.  You rename XEP80.BTM
to MODULE1.BTM.  (Or maybe MODULE2.BTM if you're using the Sparta command-line
module.)

asgardia@unixland.uucp (Craig Rothman) (06/15/91)

bmarcum@world.std.com (Bill Marcum) writes:

> Bobterm will work with the XEP80, but you need the file called XEP80.BTM.
> It should be on your original disk, or in BOBTERM.ARC.  You rename XEP80.BTM
> to MODULE1.BTM.  (Or maybe MODULE2.BTM if you're using the Sparta command-lin
> module.)

WHAT!!! Where Can I get this module for Spartacommand lines?!!?!?