[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Zmodem?

tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu (06/10/91)

   I would be most appreciative if someone could point me to a terminal program
for the 8-bits that supports Z-Modem transfers.

                              Thanks,
                                Steven Ourada

Tom_Klok@mindlink.bc.ca (Tom Klok) (06/10/91)

> tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>
>    I would be most appreciative if someone could point me to a terminal
> program for the 8-bits that supports Z-Modem transfers.

I wouldn't hold your breath. :)

Zmodem, like all windowed protocols, requires that the computer can talk to the
modem and talk to the drive at the same time.  That's possible under some
circumstances, like using a MIO serial port or a ramdisk.  But for most people
who have SIO modems and drives, it's pretty much impossible.

Someone might write it, but it would be wierd.  Zmodem is a lot more complex to
implement than, say, Ymodem, it gives only slightly better performance, and it
would only work on a very small subset of Atari 8bit systems.  Who'd bother?

Tom

a344@mindlink.bc.ca

bmarcum@world.std.com (Bill Marcum) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.221759.11018@news.iastate.edu> tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>   I would be most appreciative if someone could point me to a terminal program
>for the 8-bits that supports Z-Modem transfers.

Wouldn't we all!  Unfortunately, no such animal exists yet.  Maybe the new
XE version of BobTerm will, if/when it's released.

Tom_Klok@mindlink.bc.ca (Tom Klok) (06/14/91)

> tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>
> Actually, the Zmodem protocol had that possible limitation in mind and
> supports systems that do not have modem/disk overlap capability. The zmodem
> protocol specifications specifically mention that zmodem will work under this
> limitation.

I wonder, though, how many existing Zmodem implementations will actually
support this.  I know that 8th-bit quoting and other features for
non-transparent networks are often left out of PC Zmodem packages.

>                       Steven Ourada

Tom Klok
a344@mindlink.bc.ca

tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu (06/15/91)

In article <6193@mindlink.bc.ca>, Tom_Klok@mindlink.bc.ca (Tom Klok) writes:
>Zmodem, like all windowed protocols, requires that the computer can talk to the
>modem and talk to the drive at the same time.  That's possible under some
>circumstances, like using a MIO serial port or a ramdisk.  But for most people
>who have SIO modems and drives, it's pretty much impossible.

Actually, the Zmodem protocol had that possible limitation in mind and supports
systems that do not have modem/disk overlap capability. The zmodem protocol
specifications specifically mention that zmodem will work under this
limitation.

>Someone might write it, but it would be wierd.  Zmodem is a lot more complex to
>implement than, say, Ymodem, it gives only slightly better performance, and it
>would only work on a very small subset of Atari 8bit systems.  Who'd bother?

Yes, it is much more complex than other protocols, but a subset could be
implemented that would give enough flexibility to satisfy hobbyists. In my
case, performance is not the overriding factor, but rather the fact that Zmodem
does not require complete transparency over the transmission network. This
comes into play when transferring over Internet. Kermit suffices, but it
unbelieveably inefficient.

As for who would bother, I'm not really sure :) I _might_ bother, but I don't
know if I will. Bob Puff told me it was on his to do list for BobTerm, but that
he does not have the time to work on it now.

>Tom
>
>a344@mindlink.bc.ca

                            Steven Ourada

parsons@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Scott Parish) (06/15/91)

tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:

> The zmodem protocol specifications...

Speaking of specifications, where would one look to find the Zmodem
specification?

--
Scott Parish  a.k.a.  parsons@matt.ksu.ksu.edu                                  ----------------------------------------------
"Some people quitely reveal in the manner of the meek,                           Some people shout the way they feel to a radical degree...