[comp.sys.atari.8bit] ATR8000 & ST controls 8bit

AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (06/16/91)

I am basically looking for 8bit Atari people.  And I have two questions.

1) Does anyone know what the cable looks like that you use to hook up
   your ATR8000 to an RS232 terminal instead of an Atari, for CPM?
   I believe it hooks into the SIO port of the ATR8000, but I cannot
   figure out which pins are needed... I have experimented, after changing
   the jumpers J7 and J10, but had no luck.

2) I want to control my 8bit from my ST.  My idea is to have the machine
   look to the R: instead of looking at E:, for input and output.  I have
   played with this idea and even got my R: handler to replace the E:
   vector in the HATABS ($31A-$33F) upon booting, but then I get a never
   ending flow of ERROR 133 (Device or File not Open)...
   I thought that was the way to do it...

I want to use MiNT and MGR and have my ST to use and another MGR window
devoted to another machine!

I'd really appreciate ANY help on these!

-AAron

williams@fquest.fidonet.org (Jason Williams) (06/18/91)

AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu writes:

> I am basically looking for 8bit Atari people.  And I have two questions.
>
> 1) Does anyone know what the cable looks like that you use to hook up
>    your ATR8000 to an RS232 terminal instead of an Atari, for CPM?
>    I believe it hooks into the SIO port of the ATR8000, but I cannot
>    figure out which pins are needed... I have experimented, after changing
>    the jumpers J7 and J10, but had no luck.
>
> 2) I want to control my 8bit from my ST.  My idea is to have the machine
>    look to the R: instead of looking at E:, for input and output.  I have
>    played with this idea and even got my R: handler to replace the E:
>    vector in the HATABS ($31A-$33F) upon booting, but then I get a never
>    ending flow of ERROR 133 (Device or File not Open)...
>    I thought that was the way to do it...
>
> I want to use MiNT and MGR and have my ST to use and another MGR window
> devoted to another machine!
>
> I'd really appreciate ANY help on these!
>
> -AAron

I don't know but if you find out the pins for the thing could you tell
me..I don't even know if SWP still exists...

jko@homer.UUCP (Jonathan O'Neal) (06/21/91)

In <9106160153.AA00321@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu writes:

>1) Does anyone know what the cable looks like that you use to hook up
>   your ATR8000 to an RS232 terminal instead of an Atari, for CPM?
>   I believe it hooks into the SIO port of the ATR8000, but I cannot
>   figure out which pins are needed... I have experimented, after changing
>   the jumpers J7 and J10, but had no luck.

   SWP sold a proprietary SIO<->DB25 cable that I refused to pay for.  I
mounted a DB25 female jack on the back of my ATR and put a 3P2T switch on
the front.  The salient SIO pins are 3 (Data in), 5 (Data out), and 6 (Ground).
I wired these to their analogous RS-232 pins on the DB25 (2, 3, & 7), and
wired the switch to J7 and J10.  Now all I have to do is flip the switch
to select Atari or CP/M mode.

   All in all, the ATR-8000 was a nice piece of work for its day (and for its
purpose).  Mine still sees some use...

>-AAron

   -jko