[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Reviving the 8 bits

tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu (06/22/91)

Just to try to start a discussion...

How can the 8 bits be revived, since it appears that they are pretty much dead?
(Ie, almost no commercial support, a fairly small number of users, etc.)
And are they worth reviving?

I still use mine, and probably will after I get a new computer soon, but it's
kind of depressing sometimes to use a computer that generates as little
excitement at these ones do...

                            Steven Ourada

asgardia@unixland.natick.ma.us (Craig Rothman) (06/23/91)

tnfw0@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:

> Just to try to start a discussion...
>
> How can the 8 bits be revived, since it appears that they are pretty much dea
> (Ie, almost no commercial support, a fairly small number of users, etc.)
> And are they worth reviving?
>
> I still use mine, and probably will after I get a new computer soon, but it's
> kind of depressing sometimes to use a computer that generates as little
> excitement at these ones do...
>
>                             Steven Ourada

I think that the 8 bits cannot be revived. For one thing everything out
is now a 16bit mega system.. Its all ST, Mac, IBM and Amiga.
In the coming years, those will be obsolete as newer technology
keeps evolving.  Atari was and is a good machine for its time, but
that time is ending.  If you can still enjoy it and get some use out of it
thats great! I have 4 of them and I am not even considering an upgrade.
Im getting my hard drive setup on this and im still expanding over here.
While theres no commerical support, there are a lot of things out
that can make the 8 bit every bit as good as the Ibms and Macs..

glover@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Eric Glover) (06/23/91)

I think that the 8 bits can be brought back to a point of viability but
not much more. Nintendo showed that their can still be a workable 8 bit
market.

But, you know technology is on your back when dedicated game machines are
16 bit.

I dont own an ST yet, And dont know if I ever will now that Ive been
saddled with an IBM compat and the IBM compat market is really just
starting to exploit the capability of these marvelous 16\32 bit machines.

I worshiped by 8bit Atari and would trade my 386 in an instant for the
days of Ataris.  I hope Atari gets their marketing together and storms the
home market again.

Glover

dja1@backyard.picst.bellcore.com (Dave Arlington) (06/25/91)

     You know, when people talk about support for the 8-bits or reviving them
or making them exciting again, I always wonder what the fuss is about. Sure,
their time has passed and no new software is being released. But it is also
true that now you can get thousands and thousands of programs and usually at
discount prices these days. I personally have more programs for my 8-bit than
I could ever hope to use fully in my lifetime.

     So, really, I could care less if I was the last Atari 8-bit user on the
planet as long as I still get good use out of it. And I do. So either you find
it exciting and use it or you don't. I don't feel the need to justify my
owning and using an Atari 8-bit to anyone, most especially myself.

Dave Arlington