[comp.sys.m68k] Single board computer wanted

drg@utcsri.UUCP (Dave Galloway) (11/06/86)

The EE department here has been using a 6809 based single board computer
in undergraduate microcomputer labs for several years.  It has been fairly
successful for teaching hardware fundamentals.  It has also been used in
the graduate research labs as a general purpose gizmo interfacing board.

They would like to replace this board with something more modern.  They
want a reasonably inexpensive single board computer with at least:
	a) 16 bit CPU
	b) MMU
	c) .5 - 2 Meg RAM
	d) EPROM
	e) 4 serial ports
	f) 2 parallel ports
	g) Ethernet interface
	h) some sort of bus connector to teach simple interface design

Does anyone know of an existing board that comes close to those requirements ?
They are capable of designing and building the thing, but would rather not
re-invent the wheel.

mark@cogent.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) (11/10/86)

In article <3601@utcsri.UUCP> drg@utcsri.UUCP (Dave Galloway) writes:
>The EE department here has been using a 6809 based single board computer
>
>They would like to replace this board with something more modern.
>	a) 16 bit CPU
>	b) MMU
>	c) .5 - 2 Meg RAM
>	d) EPROM
>	e) 4 serial ports
>	f) 2 parallel ports
>	g) Ethernet interface
>	h) some sort of bus connector to teach simple interface design
>
>Does anyone know of an existing board that comes close to those requirements ?

Please let me know also about such a beast.  I want a 16 bit system on a
single board for personal use, preferably in kit form to reduce cost.  I can
do without the Ethernet and the many ports, I would mainly need one or two
serial ports and a decent bus that I could map low level IO devices of my
own into.  And a decent monitor, of course.

Thanks in advance.
|     Mark Steven Jeghers - the living incarnation of "Deep-Thought"         |
|     ("You won't like the answer ... you didn't ask it very well.")         |
|     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
|     "A poodle-free world within a decade.  We can do it...together!"       |
| Cogent Software Solutions can not be held responsible for anything said    |
| by the above person since they have no control over him in the first place |