[comp.sys.m68k] Need UNIX VMEbus system recommendations

tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) (11/25/86)

I'm planning on purchasing a UNIX system in about 12 months or so, and
right now I think I want a VMEbus based system.  I'm sure I want a 68k
series CPU, either a 68020 or 68030 (unless somebody has a good reason
why either of those would be too much over kill for just 4 to 8 users,
but I like overkill :-).  Basically, the only reason why I say VMEbus
is that is what I hear a lot of, so I'm still open to suggestions.  It
is also immaterial whether it's for BSD or Sys V, unless, of course,
someone can enlighten me to be biased about which one I'd rather have.

Any suggestions, especially those that include manufacturers addresses,
or at least their names, will be greatly appreciated.  I'd like to hear
any other thoughts or suggestions that anyone might have on this subject.

--
Tad Marko
..!ihnp4!killer!tad		||	..!ihnp4!alamo!infoswx!ntvax!tad

	"...a big hello to all intelligent lifeforms everywhere...
	and to everyone else out there, the secret is to bang the
			rocks together, guys."

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (11/26/86)

In article <349@killer.UUCP> tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) writes:
>I'm planning on purchasing a UNIX system in about 12 months or so, and
>right now I think I want a VMEbus based system.  I'm sure I want a 68k
>series CPU, either a 68020 or 68030 (unless somebody has a good reason
>why either of those would be too much over kill for just 4 to 8 users,
>but I like overkill :-).  Basically, the only reason why I say VMEbus
>is that is what I hear a lot of, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Motorola Computer Systems & Four Phase sell the System 8000 which is 020
based with a 380mb SMD drive.  Comes with SysV/68, R. 2 with R. 3 in the
pipes.  I believe the processor runs at 16mz (there are faster processor
cards available) and there is an onboard cache.  With the right serial cards
and some of the new high density memory cards, it should be just right for
4-8 users.  Sorry, don't know the price off hand.

Spectrix Computer Systems (here in Toronto) also sells an 020 based system
but it uses Multibus and runs a Xenix port (I think).
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
UUCP: utzoo