[comp.sys.m68k] 68k system monitor needed

ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP (02/09/87)

     I am looking for a simple system monitor program to use on a homebrew
68k system.  All it has to do is talk to a terminal, allow simple memory
view and changes, and download from an EXORcisor system.  The most
important aspect is that the program be public domain (i.e. free), and
I need the source code (I'll hand assemble it if I need to).
     I am also looking for a 68k cross assembler that will run on
an Apple ][, which has my EPROM burner in it.  Thanks in advance.

dje@datacube.UUCP (02/10/87)

	I am interested in the same.

				Dave Erickson
------------------------
Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644
------------------------
ihnp4!datacube!dje

rsanders@watdcsu.UUCP (02/13/87)

We at the Elecectrical Engineering Dept. at the University of Waterloo
would also be interested in such a monitor. We are setting up a lab
with VME based 68000 boards for student use. It would be nice to have
a monitor that we have source for.

--
  Roger Sanderson: {clyde|decvax|ihnp4}-\
                             {tektronix}-+--> watmath!watdcsu!rsanders

2barber@siskowit.UUCP (02/22/87)

[]

In article <4405@jhunix.UUCP> ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP writes:

>     I am looking for a simple system monitor program to use on a homebrew
>68k system.  All it has to do is talk to a terminal, allow simple memory
>view and changes, and download from an EXORcisor system.  The most
>important aspect is that the program be public domain (i.e. free), and
>I need the source code (I'll hand assemble it if I need to).
>     I am also looking for a 68k cross assembler that will run on
>an Apple ][, which has my EPROM burner in it.  Thanks in advance.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, include a cross assembler for
an Apple ][ (I also have C compilers available on several machines if
it's not specifically for the Apple.)

I understand there's a few of them out there somewhere, but no one's been
able to find one for me.  I'm starting to get desperate, and am thinking
about writing my own (gasp).  Thanks.

stephan@kontron.UUCP (02/23/87)

>>     I am also looking for a 68k cross assembler that will run on
>>an Apple ][, which has my EPROM burner in it.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, include a cross assembler for
> an Apple ][ (I also have C compilers available on several machines if
> it's not specifically for the Apple.)
>
> I understand there's a few of them out there somewhere, but no one's been
> able to find one for me.  I'm starting to get desperate, and am thinking
> about writing my own (gasp).  Thanks.

If you look in the november issue of "micro cornucopia" they published
recently the sources for 68000 assembler.

jkg@gitpyr.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <4@siskowit.UUCP> shadow@anet.UUCP (Stephen W. Barber) writes:
>In article <4405@jhunix.UUCP> ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP writes:
>>     I am looking for a simple system monitor program to use on a homebrew
>>68k system.  [...]

>Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, [...]
>I understand there's a few of them out there somewhere, but no one's been
>able to find one for me.

Someone just posted a 68000 ROM monitor to mod.computers.68k (or whatever
it is this week :-). The author claims that it uses register operations for
everything, so it runs without RAM (?). I haven't verified this, but there
is quite a bit of code (appr. 1200 lines). Should be enough to get started
with. The author also stated that it was written to run on a CompuPro
(VIASYN?) 68k board, but that it bypasses the BIOS so it should be portable.

						Jim Greenlee
--
The Shadow...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!jkg

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg hagvy lbh
oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (02/25/87)

>>     I am looking for a simple system monitor program to use on a homebrew
>>68k system.  All it has to do is talk to a terminal...
>>[etc, etc, etc]
>>     I am also looking for a 68k cross assembler that will run on
>>an Apple ][, which has my EPROM burner in it.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, include a cross assembler for
>an Apple ][ (I also have C compilers available on several machines if
>it's not specifically for the Apple.)

Uh, have you guys considered getting a FORTH for your machines? It
will fill the requirements, and be a lot quicker to get running
than something in assembler. There are several places to start; the
Laxen and Perry F83 is available but runs under (over?) an operating
system (MS-DOS or CPMxxx). It contains an assembler for the
processor it runs on (68000, 8086, or 8080), too.

To get a FORTH running on a new system (using the same processor, of
course) one typically only needs to generate the console code -
keyboard input and screen output. I've done some in which all I had
to do was change the address where the serial port lived.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

keith