[comp.sys.m68k] 25mhz 68020 price & performance?

robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (04/01/87)

What is the lowest price one might expect to pay for a 25mhz 68020,
and what are the chances of being able to push one to 28.64mhz?

Send mail, and I will post a summary.

Thank you for your time.

         "If you study the logistics and heuristics of the mystics,
          You will find that their minds rarely move in a line"

              Fifty percent of everything is below average.

Mike Robinson                                 USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu

gene@cooper.UUCP (04/02/87)

In article <18116@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) writes:
> What is the lowest price one might expect to pay for a 25mhz 68020,
> and what are the chances of being able to push one to 28.64mhz?

I'm not sure about the price, but I personally think that you can push the
68020 to at least 28MHz, if not 30MHz or more. I've found that most CPUs are
rated very conservatively to guarantee operation over all specified voltage
and temperature ranges. From my own personal experience, I've used a 2.5MHz
Z80 at 4MHz (something like 4.12...MHz) with no problems. A friend of mine
used an 8MHz 68000 at 12MHz (accidentally or purposely, I don't know) with
no problems either. Again, if you expect wide environmental changes and/or
shaky power supplies (like 4.8V instead of 5.0V because of line drops, etc.)
then only use it at the rated frequency.

					Gene

					...!ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!gene

	"Mourn for us, so pressed with fear.
	 Chained and shackled, we all found