[comp.sys.m68k] M. GNU EMACS OSK

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (05/03/87)

     I've been trying to get MicroGNU EMACS up on my FHL QT-20X
(OS-9 68K version 2.0 on 68020 system).  The original posting needed
a 'varargs.h' module which was missing.  Thankfully, Bob Larson has
provided us with a 'varargs.h' file.  Unfortunately, I can't get it
to compile.  'c68' panics and tells me that there is a line that's
too long (not surprising since he has used a "line" which runs, I think,
8 or more lines using backslashes).

     Has anybody reconstructed the 'varargs.h' file using more "lines"?
Does anybody have another Unix like 'varargs.h' I can use (i.e. public
domain or otherwise distributable since I don't have a Unix licence)?

Cheers! -- Jim O.
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

blarson@castor.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (05/03/87)

In article <1764@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
>     I've been trying to get MicroGNU EMACS up on my FHL QT-20X
>(OS-9 68K version 2.0 on 68020 system).  The original posting needed
>a 'varargs.h' module which was missing.  Thankfully, Bob Larson has
>provided us with a 'varargs.h' file.  Unfortunately, I can't get it
>to compile.  'c68' panics and tells me that there is a line that's
>too long (not surprising since he has used a "line" which runs, I think,
>8 or more lines using backslashes).

Strange.  I didn't have any problem with my varargs.  Did someone
convert the tabs in varargs.h to spaces?  (That would probably put it
over the edge.  4 character tabs might.) Did you try removing the
extranious whitespace from it?  If all else fails, you can remove the
code to handle double (sizeof(...)==8) because mg doesn't use it.

Hmmm.... If someone is converting tabs to spaces, better look at the
lines in mg calling varargs... it might be that converting the leading
indention there could even cause problems.

Did I realy forget to include my varargs.h in with the mg1a posting?

If you need to convert spaces to tabs, you might want to try the tabs
program I posted on mod.sources and the compuserve os9 utilities
section.
--
Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Ecl.Arpa

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (05/05/87)

Hi Bob, it's good to find you online!

In article <1925@castor.usc.edu> blarson@castor.usc.edu (Bob Larson) writes:
>In article <1764@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
>>     I've been trying to get MicroGNU EMACS up on my FHL QT-20X
>>(OS-9 68K version 2.0 on 68020 system).  The original posting needed

>>to compile.  'c68' panics and tells me that there is a line that's
>>too long (not surprising since he has used a "line" which runs, I think,
>>8 or more lines using backslashes).

>Strange.  I didn't have any problem with my varargs.  Did someone
>convert the tabs in varargs.h to spaces?  (That would probably put it

     Somewhere along the line, yes, the tabs got converted to
spaces.  I tried killing off a bunch of spaces early on in the
section that got the error, but I got the same error at the same
point so I didn't think that it was helping.  I'll go back
and try killing all the spaces and see if it makes any difference.

>Hmmm.... If someone is converting tabs to spaces, better look at the
>lines in mg calling varargs... it might be that converting the leading
>indention there could even cause problems.

     That's definitely a posibility in this circumstance.  I'll
check that out too.

>Did I realy forget to include my varargs.h in with the mg1a posting?

     Yup.  It shouldn't affect many people though.  I think we were the
only ones missing a 'varargs.h'.

>If you need to convert spaces to tabs, you might want to try the tabs
>program I posted on mod.sources and the compuserve os9 utilities
>section.

     Huh?  What tabs converter?  I think I missed it.

     By the way.  I have found that your 'unshar' and Wecker's 'shar'
overlap but are not mutually redundant for unsharing files.  Wecker's
'shar -u' failed to unshar one of the Micro GNU EMACS postings (with
subdirectories), while it was able to unshar Oz's 'proff.c' distribution
which your 'unshar' failed.  So it seems that although there is some
overlap, they are both useful to keep for the time being.

Cheers! -- Jim O.