[comp.sys.m68k] mc68020 bra timing?

leed@hplsla.HP.COM (Lee Darrow) (07/30/87)

	Does anyone out there know the 'Best  Case',  'Cache
	Case', and 'Worst Case' cycle counts for the MC68020
	BRA  instruction.  I can't  seem to  find  it in the
	manual.

	Is it me or is it the manual?

	Lee Darrow
	Hewlett Packard
	leed@hplsla

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (07/30/87)

In article <5930001@hplsla.HP.COM> leed@hplsla.HP.COM (Lee Darrow) writes:

>	Does anyone out there know the 'Best  Case',  'Cache
>	Case', and 'Worst Case' cycle counts for the MC68020
>	BRA  instruction.  I can't  seem to  find  it in the
>	manual.
>
>	Is it me or is it the manual?
>
>	Lee Darrow
>	Hewlett Packard
>	leed@hplsla

	The "bra" instruction is listed under as Bcc (all
branches take the same time, regardless of condition;
bra is just a pseudonym for branch true).
See section 9.2.15 Conditional Branch Instructions
in the MC68020 users manual.

--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

(I am responsible for myself and my dog and no-one else)

top@tub.UUCP (08/06/87)

>>	Does anyone out there know the 'Best  Case',  'Cache
>>	Case', and 'Worst Case' cycle counts for the MC68020
>>	BRA  instruction.  I can't  seem to  find  it in the
>>	manual.

>	The "bra" instruction is listed under as Bcc (all
>branches take the same time, regardless of condition;
>bra is just a pseudonym for branch true).
>See section 9.2.15 Conditional Branch Instructions
>in the MC68020 users manual.
>--
>Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
>Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

	First: Nice to hear from a motorola-person.

	Second: Do *YOU* (or anyone else) know any possible
		way to code a loop *WITHOUT* any memory
		references, just cache-references ?

		I thought:

		x: sub.l #1, d0
		   bpl   x

		serves the problem, but I still get one
		memory reference per loop. It seems to
		be the prefetch -- done every loop-cycle
		but thrown away...

It would be nice to here any answers from you motorola-guys out there.
Thanks in advance !

PS: I don't read notes (& mail) that often, so don't wonder if
    it may take some time discussing with me...

Thomas Patzelt, Technical University of Berlin

USA       : ...!pyramid!tub!top (UUCP)
or     ...!seismo(now uunet ??)!unido!tub!top (UUCP)
Europe: ...!mcvax!unido!tub!top (UUCP)
BITNET/EARN top@tub.BITNET